INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing CD data  (Read 983 times)

tripleweber

• Recent member
Missing CD data
« on: February 01, 2021, 06:22:06 am »

I have a number of cd's, mainly compilation / multiple artist albums where data/information is not recognised. If I rip them into itunes all data is recognised. Is there a way of finding missing info in jriver or am I doing something wrong ?
I'd appreciate any help or advice

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Missing CD data
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 06:36:48 am »

I have a number of cd's, mainly compilation / multiple artist albums where data/information is not recognised. If I rip them into itunes all data is recognised. Is there a way of finding missing info in jriver or am I doing something wrong ?
I'd appreciate any help or advice

It would be helpful if you could tell us what you are using to rip the tracks, the format you are ripping them to and what data/tags are missing in MC but present in Itunes.

The people who contribute to these forums have  some amazing skills but Mind Reading isn't one of them!
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

tripleweber

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 07:47:14 am »

Hi,
I’m using MC27 to rip, format is flac, I’ve attached a pic of an example cd and the response I get when using MC27 and then itunes.
Hope this helps

tripleweber

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 07:49:43 am »

Ooops !!!
Sorry for the random photo angles

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 09:16:55 am »

Unfortunately the Database MC uses to provide the Metadata for CD's it is ripping is somewhat limited, especially when it comes to Classical Music. It would be better to use something like dBpoweramp to rip Albums as that has access  to multiple Metadata Sources, one of the reasons why you have to pay for it.

Other than that the only other solutions are to add all the missing data/tags in manually or, if it's possible, import the tracks that you ripped with Itunes.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 09:33:07 am »

The MC database uses data from CDs that users have ripped or imported. It does not use online commercial databases, so it is not as comprehensive as the commercial databases. You can also use various tagging programs like MusicBrainz Picard to  tag CDs that MC does not have.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:48:29 am »

MC's yadb database is excellent.  It also uses freedb as a backup.

Classical disc naming isn't consistent from one user to another.

It won't work though for home-made discs unless they've been submitted.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 09:54:47 am »

This  CD is a commercial CD. Here is the Discogs entry

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Classic-Romance/release/6941870

Discogs is an excellent source and would make a nice addition to MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 10:05:54 am »

Ooops !!!
Sorry for the random photo angles
You could fix that and upload again.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 10:12:08 am »

Other than that the only other solutions are to add all the missing data/tags in manually or, if it's possible, import the tracks that you ripped with Itunes.

And do you recommend using Action Window>Tag for that? I have done that in the past, but I notice that the actual fields of the file in Windows 10 remain 'unknown' even after I have added album name, track, artist, date etc. via 'Tag' in my library. (Of course, the metadata all shows up in MC)

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 10:26:51 am »

And do you recommend using Action Window>Tag for that? I have done that in the past, but I notice that the actual fields of the file in Windows 10 remain 'unknown' even after I have added album name, track, artist, date etc. via 'Tag' in my library. (Of course, the metadata all shows up in MC)

That's because you have MC set not to "Update tags when file info changes". After having edited the tags using the "Update Tags (from library)" command will update the info Win 10 displays.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 10:37:33 am »

That's because you have MC set not to "Update tags when file info changes". After having edited the tags using the "Update Tags (from library)" command will update the info Win 10 displays.

Actually, I have 'Update tags when file info changes' ticked already, but I will now add 'Update Tags (from library)'. Thanks.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 11:40:42 am »

So, I selected an album in my library which shows up in Windows 10 as 'Unknown Artist' with track numbers, not names. When I originally ripped it, I manually added all the tagging in 'Action Window>Tag'. I have just done 'Tools>Library Tools>Update Tags (from library)' for that album. After a few seconds, I got a message, '16 files successfully updated'. When I went back into Windows 10 and opened my music files (stored on external drive), the album was still listed as 'Unknown Artist' even after a re-start.

tripleweber

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 05:19:44 pm »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Thought I'd see for myself and try dbpoweramp in an a - b comparison. It's able to cope with every cd's data that jriver couldn't handle so far so I'm very impressed with it.
My next question is how do I rip from dbpoweramp directly into my jriver library. At the moment dbpoweramp rips to my nas drive then I have to import into jriver 27. I'm sure It should work as jriver ripping did but how do I set it up?
Thanks in advance guys.

wer

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 05:27:56 pm »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Thought I'd see for myself and try dbpoweramp in an a - b comparison. It's able to cope with every cd's data that jriver couldn't handle so far so I'm very impressed with it.
My next question is how do I rip from dbpoweramp directly into my jriver library. At the moment dbpoweramp rips to my nas drive then I have to import into jriver 27. I'm sure It should work as jriver ripping did but how do I set it up?
Thanks in advance guys.

No, it doesn't work the same.  DBPA and MC are not integrated. DBPA is not integrated with any playback software. But DBPA is an excellent ripper.

You can do what you are doing, rip and then manually import, which is what I recommend.
Or, you can set your DBPA output folder to one that that MC is monitoring for Auto-Import, and let Auto-Import pick the files up when it sees them.  Google "jriver auto import" to learn how to configure it.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 05:39:30 pm »

No, it doesn't work the same.  DBPA and MC are not integrated. DBPA is not integrated with any playback software. But DBPA is an excellent ripper.

You can do what you are doing, rip and then manually import, which is what I recommend.
Or, you can set your DBPA output folder that MC is monitoring for Auto-Import, and let Auto-Import pick the files up when it sees them.  Google "jriver auto import" to learn how to configure it.

I use MC for routine CDs and dBpoweramp for ones that MC does not have or for damaged ones, since it sometimes handles damaged CDs better than MC.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 08:05:04 pm »

I use MC for routine CDs and dBpoweramp for ones that MC does not have or for damaged ones, since it sometimes handles damaged CDs better than MC.

Just trying out a trial period for dBpoweramp, and you are exactly right...using MC mostly works; any 'tricky' ones I hand over to dBpoweramp to deal with. I will probably shell out for dBpoweramp.

wer

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 08:12:22 pm »

I actually use DBPA for all my CD ripping. Better metadata retrieval, and better handling of problem discs.  It's a good product, you you don't mind spending the extra money for it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up