INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it possible to tag a pitch change for a song?  (Read 415 times)

kwake

• World Citizen
  • Excellent piece of software, this Media Center...
Is it possible to tag a pitch change for a song?
« on: February 02, 2021, 04:03:45 pm »

I'm sorry if I should have found this information somewhere else, but I did a quick search using keywords and couldn't find a specific mention...

Would it be possible for me to tag a certain song with a specific pitch change value (eg: +2) that would automatically take effect at playback, and then be reset to 0 after playback?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards,
Kwake

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is it possible to tag a pitch change for a song?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 04:44:32 pm »

Yes, there are two ways you can do this. The search you probably needed to use is just google "jriver per track dsp" and that will find lots of discussions (most of them calling for the feature to be fixed).

You obviously already know about the Tempo and Pitch module in DSP Studio. That is where you set the tempo and pitch that you want.

Briefly, your two options are these:

1. Use MC's Per-Track-DSP feature, in which you create a DSP Studio Preset, save it with a name, and put that name in the [DSP] field of a file. Every time that file plays, it will play using the DSP preset you selected.

Unfortunately, the implementation of this feature is so fundamentally flawed you won't want to use it.  First, you will have to tag every single track in your library with a DSP preset, whether you want it to have a different one or not.  Second, this method is incompatible with the proper use of certain DSP modules like Room Correction and Output Format.  The problems with this approach have been raised many times for six years, and it has not been addressed. So give it a try if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it.  The feature isn't really usable in its current form.

2. Create a second zone with the tempo and pitch settings you want, and then use ZoneSwitch to selectively route tracks there based on whatever tags you want. Learn about ZoneSwitch here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76605.0

This is somewhat cumbersome to setup, and forces you to maintain multiple zones if you ever make changes. But in most cases it's less trouble than #1.

I hope this helps...

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 04:39:23 pm »

Thanks very much Wer for your clear and concise answer! I'll give both options a try.

For info, the reason I'm wanting to get it to work is that I play guitar and some albums/tracks were recorded a little bit off of A440 tuning and I'd rather tweak the song instead of have to change the tuning of my guitar when playing along.

One or the other of your suggestions should do the trick!

Cheers,
Kwake

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 04:55:46 pm »

If it's a permanent defect that you're wanting to fix, you could just convert the track (e.g. From flac to flac) and apply DSP during the conversion.  The changes would be permanently encoded in the new file and that would be the end of it. No need for zones or anything else.

There are of course also separate programs (ProTools, for example) that lets you fix things like this (an out of tune instrument or singer) after the fact with much better results.

Good luck...

kwake

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 08:53:56 am »

Ooo, that's a nice 3rd option as well!

The thing is, for certain albums like many AC/DC albums, it isn't a defect... it was actually recorded like that (A440+1 or +2, or -1 or -2). I've put this information in the comment field of quite a few dozens of songs to know by how much and in which direction to tweak the pitch DSP for it to be A440.

It's even more important for me now that I've purchased my first guitar with an Evertune bridge (the Solar E1.6D LTD).

I'm going to try it and see how it turns out!

Cheers, Kwake
Pages: [1]   Go Up