INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opus files - Play & Conversion  (Read 679 times)

woollies66

• Recent member
Opus files - Play & Conversion
« on: February 24, 2021, 04:10:54 am »

Hi

I'm on the latest release of jrriver (27.0.66) 64 bit anfd I'm having intermittent issues playing / converting .opu (Opus)audio files. Message displayed is "File does not contain any audio information", I can play them using windows groove music app though so there has to be audio data in there.

Any ideas

BR Woollies66

Soundwave

• Recent member
Re: Opus files - Play & Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 03:17:24 am »

JRiver doesn't formally support Opus (it's basically my most wishlisted feature currently  :'( ). It supports Opus file playback, but no handling of metadata properly, nor any conversion (so no decoders and encoders to convert to, or from Opus files).

I truly hope we see it some day. If anyone converts any of their music to a lossless format, Opus outdoes them all in my view overall.

woollies66

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 01:48:04 am »

Cheers Soundwave,

Not too sure I can comment on the better quality of opus files yet , I'm surprised though that JRiver hasn't responded positively to your request (they normally do) or at least with a rationale as to why they won't do it. It seems strange that other "mainstream" players have already reacted and their apps cater fully for them.

Br Woollies66

Soundwave

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 06:06:30 am »

I wasn't the first, the feature for native handling support (meta-data etc.. so it functions just like any other format within JRiver) was requested periodically, but without any reply. So yeah, not sure either considering as you say, even music players on smartphones support with without issue. For me personally, it's basically the best lossy format in my book; certainly in terms of fidelity you can eek out of the music files at a given bitrate and size. I don't know why there's radio silence on that front.

Maybe they're working on it as a surprise in the background. That's at least what I assume and hope.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 07:06:28 am »

Keep bugging developers ... and eventually they will do it ... not too much or they get annoyed ... just enough to remind them that ppl are interested :)

Took us some time to get SSA/ASS subtitles to get properly supported ... but eventually it csme around :)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up