INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC27 - Constantly Having to Restore Library & Album Artist Search  (Read 509 times)

hammer66

• Recent member

I was a very happy user of MC25 for two plus years. It was flawless. Last weekend, I decided to upgrade/update to MC27. Unfortunately, it's not been a happy time so far:

- I'm frequently having to restore the library from a recent backup (which I now save daily) as MC27 periodically opens with maybe only 300 files of my 44,000 plus file library. This never happened with MC25. Is there a setting I need to activate? Didn't do anything when I went from MC24 to MC25, the transition was seamless.

- I no longer see the search capability for (album artist), for example The Beatles (Album Artist). Now I only see The Beatles (Artist). I use the Album Artist tag on all of my files, and sometimes I don't want the search to include compilations (Various Artists), which now I can't avoid. Any settings that I need to activate here?

The second bullet is more of a nice to have but the first is a real pain. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC27 - Constantly Having to Restore Library & Album Artist Search
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 01:18:54 pm »

Have you configured Windows Defender?  There's a thread on this board. 

The library problems aren't MC problems. 

hammer66

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 02:28:07 pm »

Have you configured Windows Defender?  There's a thread on this board. 

The library problems aren't MC problems.

I can try that but never had to do any such thing with either MC24 or MC25 (which I was using up until ten days ago).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 02:36:29 pm »

Antivirus software treats every version differently, even every build.

hammer66

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 02:50:22 pm »

Thanks, appreciate the reply. And the great product! I us Malware Bytes and added the exclusions per the thread on here. Let's see what happens.

Now, am I missing something with not seeing (Album Artist) as a search parameter. For example, with compilations, where I have the individual artist as "Artist" and Various Artists as "Album Artist", I can't locate Various Artists anymore (as it doesn't appear to be searching on the Album Artist part of the tag).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 04:12:05 pm »

- I'm frequently having to restore the library from a recent backup (which I now save daily) as MC27 periodically opens with maybe only 300 files of my 44,000 plus file library. This never happened with MC25. Is there a setting I need to activate? Didn't do anything when I went from MC24 to MC25, the transition was seamless.

When it opens showing only the 300 tracks, are you sure the others are gone and not just being mis-filed or that you don't have a filter on the view somehow?

Assuming that they're actually gone, the thing I would check first is to go into Auto-Import's settings and turn off Fix Broken Links. It is possible if your files are going offline temporarily (maybe a USB disk is spinning down or acting dumb, or a Network Drive is going offline, or something like that) and the files are being removed from the Library by Auto-Import. Disabling the Fix Broken Links will stop that from happening.

Also, make sure you aren't also running MC25 still in Media Server mode. Sometimes the Startup Settings get kinda confused on update. It generally doesn't automatically update that (allowing you to test out the new version without "fully switching to it").

If you use Media Server, check the Startup Settings for MC27 under Tools > Options > Startup and make sure they're set the way you want, and then either uninstall or UNDO those same settings in MC25. It could be that your Library is getting confused because everything is "in-use" twice while you try to run two separate versions of MC simultaneously.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 04:23:28 pm »

Now, am I missing something with not seeing (Album Artist) as a search parameter.

Got to Settings->Library&Folders->Manage Library Fields, find the Album Artist field, and check the "Default search field" checkbox.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 04:29:22 pm »

Got to Settings->Library&Folders->Manage Library Fields, find the Album Artist field, and check the "Default search field" checkbox.

The OP has a separate post about that topic now (which is what they should have done in the first place, but good to do it anyway). Might want to cross-post your comment there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

hammer66

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 04:30:42 pm »

You, my friend, are a saint. Thank you so much!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up