INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Requesting Columns for video files showing audio description Format and Bit rate  (Read 726 times)

mirskid

• Recent member

Hi

I have gone over all the options available for columns to be displayed and have not found anything to show video file information regarding audio description for Format and Bit rate.
There is a general Bitrate column that shows the combine values, video+audio. But cannot find for specific audio information on video files.
Most of video apps have this but stangelly after all this years using MC, this 2 pieces of information cannot be checked in the MC app. Any reason for that?
All needed is 2 columns to show:
Format : AAC LC
Bit rate : 576 kb/s
or
Format : PCM
Bit rate : 1536 kb/s
Even is is just the simple audio Bit rate

Any ideas or solutions to this?

Regards,

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

There's the Compression field, but it doesn't contain that much detail unfortunately.

You will need to use a tool like SWOT to import the MediaInfo from these video files into a separate field. SWOT can extract individual lines of the MediaInfo file into separate fields, and it can also import the entire MediaInfo into a field; you can then add other fields with Expressions to get whatever info you need from that main MediaInfo field.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.msg742303.html#msg742303

mirskid

• Recent member

Thank you for the advice.
It seams like a lot of work and the final result not even being that useful because I cannot just jump in to a column and sort the videos by audio quality or search by that criteria.
I cannot believe I need to go thru all this trouble and work to have just one piece of information from a video that I need to use.
It should be a siple field in the columns section:
Audio Bit rate

Does anyone know why this was never implemented over the years?

zybex

• MC Beta Team

The new fields will show up as Columns so you can filter/sort/search by them as well. There's a bit of a learning curve to use SWOT and add those columns, but once you learn it it's fairly simple.

There are hundreds of small pieces of info. Some people want this, others want that... it's not possible to have it all for everyone. That said, I agree that Audio Codec Info and Video Codec info could be more detailed.

wer

Does anyone know why this was never implemented over the years?

Companies usually fall into two types:
- Those that decide what the users will get, and what the users actually want is irrelevant.
- Those who develop features based on what most of their users want.

Apple is an example of the first.  JRiver tends towards the second.

I actually switched to MC because the previous program I was using wouldn't let you sort an Artist's albums by the year they were released, even though it knew that information.  MC is nice in that you can input whatever data you want, and filter and sort by it.

I've been using MC for quite a long time, and I have never once thought "Gee, I really need to sort all my video files by the bitrate of the audio track."

I don't think I've ever even heard anyone ask for this either, until now.

Then there's the complication of "Which audio track?"  Lots of video files have multiple audio tracks. Does MC need to show you the bitrate for all 5 audio tracks on "The Fellowship of the Ring"?  What's the best way to even present that?  I'm just saying, it's not a no-brainer.

There's nothing wrong with you wanting it, but probably what seems obviously important to you isn't so to many others.  I imagine that's why.

I agree it could be useful, but as Zybex said a lot of people want a lot of different things. If enough people ask for it, it might get added.  A lot of things happen that way.

mirskid

• Recent member

Thank you all for the feedback and the input.
I love my MC that's why I have supported the project from the beginnig purchasing every new version.
I understand is hard and complicated to show information from multiple sources.

I will try the SWOT tool to see how I go.

Regards,

mirskid

• Recent member

The new fields will show up as Columns so you can filter/sort/search by them as well. There's a bit of a learning curve to use SWOT and add those columns, but once you learn it it's fairly simple.

There are hundreds of small pieces of info. Some people want this, others want that... it's not possible to have it all for everyone. That said, I agree that Audio Codec Info and Video Codec info could be more detailed.

Thanks for the advice regarding Swag of tools.
I have been trying to figure it out and got most of it sort it but still cannot select a specific field that I want.
Was wondering if I can pick your brain for a moment.
Got it done to add the Bit rate info into the file in MC, unde the Budget column.
My problem is that is showing video and audio bita rate and is quite long, I just want the Audio Bit rate to show.
In the Swag of Tools, Mediainfo section I enter Budget (in the MC field section) then Bit rate (in Mediainfo section) then blank the last section.
I have tried Audio;Bit rate (in Mediainfo section) but it does not work.
How can I restrict the field to a specific cathegory and sub cathegory of the video information?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

FYI - this is a cross post from the SOT thread, hopefully an Expression expert can help out!  Note: in the SOT post, mirskid is putting the SOT MediaInfo output into a field called "_Bit Rate_" but it needs to strip out all but the numbers that are being returned.  I've suggested the following
====================================

It looks like what you want to do is "clean" the input that is being read.  I'm not very experienced with MC's Expression Fields so hopefully someone else will chip in but:

=Number([_Bit Rate_]) (see https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Miscellaneous_Functions#Number)

...will do what you want to the raw MediaInfo data once in MC.  It turns "Constant; 225 kb;s" into "225"

So, it would be a 2 step process
1) you would run SOT and it would get all the raw data and put it into a MC Field, then
2) you would select all your data in MC and on the first "_Bit Rate_" change it to "=Number([_Bit Rate_])" (without the quotes) and all the data will be converted to values.

There may also be a way of setting it up under "Manage Library Fields".  I tried changing "_Bit Rate_" from "User Data" to "Calculated data" and adding "=Number([_Bit Rate_])" but that did not seem to work.
JRiver CEO Elect

wer

You could use two fields to make it work, jmone.  Using your field name:
[Raw Rate] is the field where you load the data from SoT
[_Bit Rate_] is calculated data  =Number([Raw Rate])

Keep in mind, Number() will only return the first number it finds.

mirskid

• Recent member

Thank you for all the help and guidance with this new subject and tool.
Got it working following your advice.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I think this will work better:

=removecharacters([Raw Rate]," kb//s")

removes the kb/s and also the space between "1 552 kb/s" so you should get "1552"
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up