INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a new non-HTPC PC  (Read 1829 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Looking for a new non-HTPC PC
« on: March 26, 2021, 04:01:04 pm »

The computer I am typing on is a NUC with an i5 5250. It does a lot of web browsing, hosts my MC server, rips my media (usb optical drive)  and does a little Sketchup. I would also like to be able to edit some video I take with my 360° camera. Even though the CPU doesn't peg too often it just feels slow and laggy. Enough that I'm considering replacing it. I haven't really been up to date on PC tech since I built my HTPC a long time ago. I think that was around the time of MC17. I'd like to keep a similar form factor as the NUC but besides that I don't really know what to look for. I can just browse around comparison shop but is there anything I should definitely get considering I'll use the computer for 5+ years? I understand that I'm not going to get bleeding edge. The only gaming I've done lately was on Stadia. I'd like to keep it near $500 but would go up if it meant keeping the computer even longer.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Wheaten

Re: Looking for a new non-HTPC PC
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 05:17:57 pm »

You don't ask easy questions. Video editing loves power for rendering.
Maybe this link can help you. They made a split on budget and best choices.

rec head

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 06:51:41 pm »

Very casual video editing. I can do it on my phone but prefer a desktop when I can use it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 07:04:58 am »

I don't think you will find a better $500 alternative to your existing NUC.  Most of the performance gains to be had with both video editing and playback will be with a discrete GPU and for that you are going to need a bigger PC and budget.  I too love the NUC format but the GPU performance really has not changed for years.  Until it really irritates you to accept a larger form factor and higher budget, I'd stick with the NUC for now. 
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up