INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrong image date - MC not reading EXIF data correctly  (Read 699 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Wrong image date - MC not reading EXIF data correctly
« on: April 01, 2021, 01:18:58 pm »

I have a very confusing problem with dates on photos. Tried searching, and found various similar issues since MC11 (I am at MC27.0.77) but none that quite gave success in my case.

I use a different system (Synology Photos) to tag a bunch of old, scanned photos (facial recognition, correct dates, kyewords/tags etc). When a file has been updated with new Keywords, MC imports this just fine automatically after a few seconds. But dates are a big problem. I have hundreds of old paper photos that I have scanned during the past 10 years or so. I have used MC General/Date to specify date taken on these. But Synology Photos does not interpret the date info from MC correctly for quite a lot of the files (all?). So I ended up using Synology Photos to change the date tag, since I know this writes a new Date Taken EXIF info. I can see this in Windows explorer. For some files, MC imports this new date as "General/Date", but for other files, this does not happen. What then most often happens is that, since the file now has a new "Date Modified", MC interprets this as "General/Date" and ignores the Date Taken in the file.

I then removed General/Date and General/Album Date in MC and ran Library Tools/Update Library (from tags) for a few test files. For one image (EXIF Date taken: July 1 1986) the new MC General/Date became 01.01.1899(!).

Could anyone care to explain what I do wrong here, or if there is some bug. Please...

Trumpetguy

Re: Wrong image date - MC not reading EXIF data correctly
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 11:27:36 am »

I did some research. Here are are metadata from XnView, which reads the dates set in DS Photo (Synology Photo) correctly: Date/Time Original 1995/12/26. This was a file already imported into MC years ago. I now deleted the Date and Album Date, and ran Library Tools/Update Library (from tags). The Date field remained empty. When trying this on a different photo yesterday, a completely wrong date was insterted (see OP).

So what is going on? Is this an easy fix, to read/write EXIF and XMP data correctly? I really want to use MC as my primary image management system, but this is a real deal breaker...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:43:03 pm »

Could you email me an image we're getting the date wrong for?  I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 02:23:32 pm »

Hi Matt, really appreciate you looking into this, I just sent you an email.

On the image file in post nr 2, I manually copied in a version of the file from the parallel repository managed by DS Photo. Then the Date updated just right in MC, even if the import date remained the same (13.03.2013), so it was not imported as a new file. As I wrote in the email, I do not see any structure to what's happening, other than it happens on scans that has been through several other softwares prior ot MC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up