INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WinDVD4 and MC9  (Read 1768 times)

dragyn

WinDVD4 and MC9
« on: April 06, 2003, 04:38:13 am »

Is there a trick to get this to work?

Before I installed WinDVD4, MC was complaining about not being able to read the disc (no decoder).

After installing WinDVD4, the track list shows but unable to play anything. It says:

"While setting up DVD-Video playback, it was found that
*Video cannot be shown on the computer monitor because of one of the following reasons:
a) Low video memory. Please try using lower display resolution and/or colors.
b) Another application is currently using the necessary display resources. Please ensure that no such applications are running.
c) The display adapter is incompatible with the DVD decoder. Please try to obtain a display driver update."

OK

hmm...only thing I know is that IF WinDVD is on the monitor 1, it will not work, just the sound will work. IF WinDVD is on the primary monitor, it will work. You see, in my setup, Primary is not #1. There are no overlays on #1. MC is set to use #2 but it's not working....

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: WinDVD4 and MC9
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2003, 04:50:13 am »

Hi,

Same problem here but with PowerDVD xp 4.0.
In fact I never use MC to view DVDs on the PC but, well, that would be nice if it could work.

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 05:46:35 am »

I've seen JohnT talk about free decoders available.  You might try a search here or look on the FAQ.

I've seen the problem you describe, Dave, on one machine of 5 or 6 I use.

In theory, if the player software has Directshow filters, we can use them.

Someone else mentioned that a DVD they tried to play wanted to install its own player (Autoelph?).  I think this must be new copy protection.

dragyn

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 07:08:38 am »

I tried searching but could not find anything. Maybe the person you are referring to could repost the link. I searched for all post by John and could not find anything either.

I noticed one day, a long time ago, that WinDVD had a plugin or something that was required for use in WMP. I couldn't find that page again on intervideo's site. I know it wasn't free but maybe it has something to do with it. Maybe it was on WMP's plugin page. I can't remember.

I don't have WMP9 installed, just v8. It's really not that big of deal. I just want everything to work. And I'm sure you guys want everything working too before release. It's probably something to do with WinDVD. If I can find those directhow filters, I'll try them and see if it will work.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 07:31:09 am »

Jim,

Maybe it was me.

The following moved from another post due to lack of response (symptoms & error messages same as Dragyn's)....

Over the last few days I set up this guy's computer with W2k and MC9 (B140 or 141 - as 30 day trial). I could not get DVD playback to occur. Inserting (2) test DVD's would alway bring up "do you want to install the interActual player?" (or something to that affect). So finally I let it (then I would close the player). When using MC to play the DVD I would get some error about not finding the codec. I don't have the specifics (though I could get them) and didn't try too hard to get it running (I was charging him $50 / hr).  

So my question(s) are: does MC contain all the software necessary out of the box to play back DVD's? Is it necessary to DL some plug-ins? To what extent does it rely on third party help? (such as WMP, QuickTime, etc.)

Thanks

Rx

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2003, 07:58:16 am »

The Interactual player was the message I got, too.  I don't know what it is, but I've seen it only in the last two weeks and it happened twice.  Maybe newer DVD's?

I play DVD's all the time with MC and without this problem.

MC uses whatever decoding software comes with the drive, so you need to install the DVD software that came with the drive.  It's only using the DirectShow filters, and not WMP or any other player.

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2003, 08:09:00 am »

Thanks for the clarification, Jim. It makes sense now.

Rx

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2003, 08:18:58 am »

Here is the page for Intervideo's DVDXPack.

http://www.intervideo.com/products/custom/ms/windowsxp/media_pack.jsp

I sent you and E-Mail Dragyn.

dragyn

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2003, 08:47:52 am »

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

JeffB, you sent me an email? Where did you send it? PM works good too.

xen-uno

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 09:08:55 am »

Jim > The Interactual player was the message I got, too

Forgot to ask...were you able to play these DVD's?

Rx

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2003, 10:19:11 am »

No.  Not with MC.

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2003, 10:28:00 am »

Dragyn, I sent it to the address in your profile.  It had an attachment.

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 11:01:14 am »

The InterActual player (www.interactual.com) is a DVD player of sorts, although it doesn't do much and does not have a decoder built in.

The reason that som DVDs want to install it is because you must use this program if you want to access websites exclusive to the DVD owners.  For example, if you have Star Wars Episode I or II on DVD, you can install the interactual player and inside the player's browser got to http://dvd.starwars.com/ to access exclusive content.

And, well, I haven't tried watching DVDs through MC9.  I'm happy enough with WinDVD4.

Dan "da Man"

xen-uno

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2003, 11:09:37 am »

So I assume your able to play these interActual DVD's through WinDVD? If you would, try them on MC to see if you get same results as Jim. Thanks.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up