INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cross Platform Paths - was this ever done?  (Read 457 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Cross Platform Paths - was this ever done?
« on: April 17, 2021, 09:13:25 am »

Referring to a specific post in an old thread - Cross Platform Paths

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121740.msg842166.html#msg842166

Currently my library server is Windows, supporting multiple windows clients (and JRemote)

I'd like to move the server to Linux, but know that paths to files will be different.  The clients are all on the same network, and generally Windows.  Would like them to be able to access the files directly - but the pathing will be a problem.  Hendrik had what I thought was the best solution - leave the library as-is, e.g. referencing paths using the convention of the OS it's deployed on, and then on each client implement mapping outside of the library.  Seems most flexible and also avoids messing with the integrity of the library.

Is it possible to do this?  The thread ended and I've not found if it was ever implemented.
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Cross Platform Paths - was this ever done?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 06:18:21 pm »

I brought up something similar recently on the Mac board:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129204.0.html

No, it has not been done to my knowledge (and if so, someone please set us right).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BillT

• World Citizen
Re: Cross Platform Paths - was this ever done?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 03:12:34 am »

I'm not sure if it will serve the purpose of accessing files locally on the client, but I use the original Windows library on my Linux server but use the portable library option on the server to point the windows path to the file location on the Linux server. You have to set up Samba shares on the Linux machine and map them on the clients to replicate the original setup.

I did this because I couldn't get file rename to work on the Linux machine; it would do a few hundred files then crash and corrupt the database. It has another advantage in that the library can be edited directly on a windows machine, which you can't easily with Linux file paths.

Obviously this won't work with Macs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up