INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving music library to the Dropbox cloud  (Read 614 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
Moving music library to the Dropbox cloud
« on: April 25, 2021, 08:10:01 am »

I am looking at ways of locating my music library (3TB) to the dropbox cloud. I have enough storage at dropbox > 3TB (moving the library there is another challenge?!). The issue is not to make it work. That is easy. But the issue is to set it up is such a way that the dropbox library does not have to be downloaded as local copy to the local computer. How can that be achieved with a notebook ?

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving music library to the Dropbox cloud
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 01:56:12 pm »

I am looking at ways of locating my music library (3TB) to the dropbox cloud. I have enough storage at dropbox > 3TB (moving the library there is another challenge?!). The issue is not to make it work. That is easy. But the issue is to set it up is such a way that the dropbox library does not have to be downloaded as local copy to the local computer. How can that be achieved with a notebook (MAC) ?

Not sure about the actual question (do not use DB) but I am sure I would not be trusting my library to Dropbox (or any other cloud storage).

Are you thinking of putting your master copies up there or a copy? and I guess the next question is why?

MC can be configured to play your master library from anywhere that has an internet connection...

VP

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 12:54:46 pm »

Not sure about the actual question (do not use DB) but I am sure I would not be trusting my library to Dropbox (or any other cloud storage).

Are you thinking of putting your master copies up there or a copy? and I guess the next question is why?

MC can be configured to play your master library from anywhere that has an internet connection...

VP

Thanks for the reply.

I will not use a cloud-based library (such as Dropbox) as master copy. I still rely for that on a my local Synology.

I still have not figured out how to use JRiver remotely with the Synology, i.e. all music/video is on a home based Synology and JRiver is on a notebook (when traveling). It works for me with my Plex setup (I am not allowed to mention that here?!) but I have not figured out to have it work with my JRiver-setup. Any guidance?

I still want to test the alternative, i.e. with a cloudbased Dropbox library without the need for a local download on the notebook. Did anyone try to do this?

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 01:36:27 pm »

I still have not figured out how to use JRiver remotely with the Synology, i.e. all music/video is on a home based Synology and JRiver is on a notebook (when traveling). It works for me with my Plex setup (I am not allowed to mention that here?!) but I have not figured out to have it work with my JRiver-setup. Any guidance?

I still want to test the alternative, i.e. with a cloudbased Dropbox library without the need for a local download on the notebook. Did anyone try to do this?
If it were me - to test - I would just put 3 albums up there and see what happens. The limiting factor here is the time it would take to copy the whole library up.

And finally I would ask myself - even if I could somehow get all 3TB up there - am I really going to listen to all? (aka - is this really the best use of my time?)

VP

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 01:05:09 am »

If it were me - to test - I would just put 3 albums up there and see what happens. The limiting factor here is the time it would take to copy the whole library up.

And finally I would ask myself - even if I could somehow get all 3TB up there - am I really going to listen to all? (aka - is this really the best use of my time?)

VP

Thanks again. I understand your scepticism.

For the setup with Synology with local database and remote JRiver on notebook, I am struggling with remote access. How do I get it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up