Windows > Television

NEW: IPTV Support in the JRiver TV Engine

(1/19) > >>

Yaobing:
Description:

MC28.0.7 adds IPTV Support in TV engine.  Live streaming, time-shifting and recording.

You can add an IPTV URL as a TV channel, and view the stream in TV engine.

Instructions

[Edit: Please see Using IPTV for more complete instructions.]

1.  To add channels:

a. Manually add a channel:  Run Manage TV Channels.  Click the Add button.  Choose "IPTV" for type.  Enter a station name, and type/paste URL.

or

b. Set up channels using an m3u8 playlist file: 

(1) Run TV Setup. 
 (2) Select "Streaming (from a network tuner or from the Internet)" for Service Type. 
 (3) On Capture Hardware page, select "IPTV" for Tuner Type, and choose an m3u/m3u8 file for channel playlist.
 (4) Finish the rest of the wizard like you do with other TV type setups.

2. View the video like you do with other types of TV channels, from the EPG.  Most likely you will have to manually make EPG mapping entries to get the correct EPG data for such channels.  If you do not make any EPG association, the guide for such channels will be filled with "Program info not available" entries.

Note: Most HLS (HTTP Live Streaming) based IPTV sources use an m3u8 file extension in their URLs.  These are the URLs we can currently support.  If the URL does not contain the file extension, it will not work, because we have not implemented a smarter way of telling the type yet. 

JimH:
IPTV Article at Wikipedia

jmone:
I initially tried to add BBC World News.  From what I've read is that many of the m3u8 links fail to play unless you are from the "home country" IP address range.  So they are region locking them, and you just get an "unspecified error" in MC.  I also tried a few of the "3rd party" links floating around and they sort of work but are so slow it is unwatchable.  This is a shame as IPTV links would be great for stuff you don't get locally and of course, there is not much point to IPTV streams for local content as chances are the OTA version is better quality! 

FYI - Here is an example of an Australian IPTV link that works for me https://abc-iview-mediapackagestreams-2.akamaized.net/out/v1/6e1cc6d25ec0480ea099a5399d73bc4b/index.m3u8 

I also noticed that the IPTV streams are not playing in the MC Video/Audio engine, I presume they are in the embedded browser?

Thanks
Nathan

BryanC:
This is a great start, thank you! Unfortunately I won't be able to test until a Linux beta version is released.

Yaobing:

--- Quote from: jmone on April 23, 2021, 10:54:22 pm ---I also noticed that the IPTV streams are not playing in the MC Video/Audio engine, I presume they are in the embedded browser?

--- End quote ---

The TV engine uses the same underlying method as the video engine.  If a URL can be played via File > Open URL..., it can be played as a TV channel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version