INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [SOLVED] gapless FLAC playback issues  (Read 1676 times)

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
[SOLVED] gapless FLAC playback issues
« on: June 08, 2021, 01:48:39 am »

I'm using MC27, streaming to a Yamaha DLNA receiver (RX-A3080), controlled by JRemote2, and I can't figure out how to get gapless playback working.

If I render to a Yamaha MusicCast WXAD-10 streaming box instead, gapless playback works fine, so I assume the receiver is missing something. However, the receiver documentation says it supports gapless FLAC playback. If I play FLAC files untranscoded, I get a gap of about 1 second. Same thing if I transcode to PCM, but the gap is significantly reduced to a stutter if I transcode to MP3.

Does anybody know of a setting that might persuade my receiver to make good on its promise of gapless FLAC playback?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: gapless FLAC playback issues
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 06:39:27 pm »

if you right click on the renderer under "Playing Now" and select "DLNA Controller Options" make sure "Disable SetNext Support.." is unchecked.

This assumes your RX-A3080 is capable of gapless playback, run AndrewFG's Whitebear tool (https://www.whitebear.ch/dmra) and this will tell you, as well as suggesting other settings.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 10:18:47 pm »

Thanks Scobie. Much appreciated.

The 'Disable SetNext Support' option is unchecked. I ran the Whitebear tool, and gapless FLAC is supported on my receiver - AVT:SetNextAVTransportURI (gapless play)=Supported. The only thing that isn't supported is something called synchronous play.

Whitebear couldn't seem to access my Linux version of MC over the network, so I installed MC on my PC and used the Whitebear tool to change a couple of suggested settings that weren't checked, but it still wouldn't play gapless. Whether it believes it's playing gapless and is just bungling it, or isn't even trying is something I'm unsure of. Beyond contacting Yamaha to ask whether their latest firmware is functioning correctly, I'm a bit stuck.

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 10:43:46 pm »

UPDATE: My receiver was connected to the router via the 5GHz band. I switched to 2.4GHz and gapless playback now works. I have no idea why this matters, but I'll stick with it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up