INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Experience with Upgrade/ Windows 7 Tip...  (Read 929 times)

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
Good Experience with Upgrade/ Windows 7 Tip...
« on: June 22, 2021, 05:36:19 pm »

Well, that worked well! Sorry if others have posted this. I am a bit in a rush and didn't read. Just wanted to pass on the good vibes!

That was the fastest JRiver upgrade yet. JRiver even copied over my "custom art" folder under the data folder (you can change the default art that shows if you have no album cover for a particular song)! Getting the installer to copy that folder is a feature request I made a long time ago. The installer brought over my custom Track Info plugins, too.

Tip:

If anyone else is a dinosaur on Win 7 Pro 64-bit like me:

The default MS Edge didn't work. Maybe the installer didn't figure out W7 equals no Edge? However the easy fix for me was to change Option > Tree & View > Web Browser > Engine: from Edge to Chromium

And Chromium just worked this time. It used to be grumpy about working at first.

And I know it is 100% impossible, but I can swear 28 sounds better.

For you newbies, this whole process used to mean much more work...

Thanks Team JRiver for making the annual upgrade easier every time!

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
Re: Good Experience with Upgrade/ Windows 7 Tip...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 05:43:17 pm »

Oh, I posted too fast. There is another thread on Windows 7. I understand that W7 may start to make you guys a little nervous, but I have had no real issues.

Still, I am now multi-booting W10 LTSC, W10 Pro, and Linux Mint to decide where to go in the future. Also, I am waiting for the official announcement from MS in a couple days on W11 to see how anti or pro user it is.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 06:24:00 pm »

We fixed a bug in the installer for the future version that should automatically install the required components for Web to work out of the box. We strongly recommend to using Edge instead of Chromium.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 06:29:36 pm »

Hi Hendrik!

So should I wait till the next version (probably coming any day), update, then switch back?

Also, forgive me, but Chromium is open source, which I like. Why is Edge better? I saw references to it being recommended, but... you can give me a link if that saves you time.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 01:10:43 am »

I rebooted into one of my Win 10 partitions. I installed 28.0.27. My non-MS software firewall says Edge is trying to check for updates constantly. I allow it, but it keeps asking for more. Hopefully we can tame that.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 07:55:44 am »

Also, forgive me, but Chromium is open source, which I like. Why is Edge better? I saw references to it being recommended, but... you can give me a link if that saves you time.

Not to mention that Edge is built on (and exclusively uses) the Chromium engine - so I am confused by this statement "We strongly recommend to using Edge instead of Chromium."

Or did Hendrix mean to say "We strongly recommend to using Edge instead of Chrome". Which BTW I wholeheartedly agree on.

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 07:59:20 am »

My non-MS software firewall says Edge is trying to check for updates constantly. I allow it, but it keeps asking for more. Hopefully we can tame that.

You can easily stop that - there are two items under Task Scheduler (MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineCore and MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineUA) that can be disabled and that should slow the updates way down. I leave mine at default tho with no issues whatsoever. But I am also using Win 10.

Cheers

VP

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 11:18:36 am »

Thanks Vocalpoint! I will try that when I can get a chance to boot into that partition later. I should mention that I was in Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (not sure if that version has Edge) and it was not asking for Edge updates until I started playing music.

Others may not see this kind of stuff as several years ago people seemed to stop using non-MS outgoing firewalls.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 11:22:06 am »

Thanks Vocalpoint! I will try that when I can get a chance to boot into that partition later. I should mention that I was in Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (not sure if that version has Edge) and it was not asking for Edge updates until I started playing music.

I also use Win 10 LTSC here - and it never "asks" for Edge updates even with the Task Scheduler items active. Can you describe what you mean by "asking" for updates?

Edge should just sit there and these tasks will quietly update the app in the background as required. But it should never make it's presence known - especially if using MC.

VP

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 11:39:40 am »

I have my firewall set to prompt me if any outgoing connections start to happen. Then I either allow or deny. If its something I am ok with I can give it permanent permission. That partition is a new one to me and that instance of the firewall is not really trained yet. Also, while I have used W10 at work for years, W10 is relatively new for me at home where I am the administrator. My point is that I have not had much experience with this out-going firewall with W10 yet.

So, I believe my firewall was telling me that Edge was trying to get updates in the background like you said. Again, most people would not see it as they don't have a chatty firewall telling them about it.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 11:44:31 am »

I have my firewall set to prompt me if any outgoing connections start to happen. Then I either allow or deny. If its something I am ok with I can give it permanent permission. That partition is a new one to me and that instance of the firewall is not really trained yet. Also, while I have used W10 at work for years, W10 is relatively new for me at home where I am the administrator. My point is that I have not had much experience with this out-going firewall with W10 yet.

I guess I would need to understand why the firewall would need to tell you what's coming in or going out? I mean - I am all about security too - but I trust the Win 10 firewall to just do it's thing - which it does in spades. I don't need it to report back on every transaction tho. It has been rock solid and we even use it for my studio business where there is a lot going on.

Cheers

VP

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 11:46:32 am »

Every browser updates itself, which is something you want, because browsers are the front-line to internet security concerns, so keeping them up to date is paramount.

In fact, its one of the advantages we get from using Edge, we're not shipping a "private" version of it, but relying on the one installed in the system, which updates itself using Windows updating mechanics, and we don't have to manually ship Chromium updates every now and then - which as many know were also always a bit troublesome due to the size of the download and interference of some anti-virus software not trusting our version of it right away.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 12:02:36 pm »

You can easily stop that - there are two items under Task Scheduler (MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineCore and MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineUA) that can be disabled and that should slow the updates way down.
Disabling those is probably not a good idea.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 12:03:57 pm »

Disabling those is probably not a good idea.

Agreed. Edge updates should be allowed at all times.

Cheers!

VP

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 12:07:20 pm »

@Vocalpoint

While it is a tiny bit of extra work, its not that bad. I just like knowing what my system is doing. Its part curiosity, part habit, part control. I know its not for everyone; that is why most people just gave up and started trusting the MS firewall years ago. It is a really good product. You just have to trust that particular large entity.

However; I have avoided W10 on the personal level until now. It may beat me down, too.

@Hendrik

OK, that makes sense. That would be a benefit to most of your users. I agree keeping browsers up to date is super important. But it seemed like it was checking for an update on almost every song (I will have to confirm that later). Is that normal? Please keep the Chromium as at least an option. As I said above, going to Chromium was surprisingly smooth this time!

Are there any other advantages to Edge?
Pages: [1]   Go Up