INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Renderer Problems  (Read 3185 times)

muslhead

• Recent member
DLNA Renderer Problems
« on: June 26, 2021, 02:06:22 pm »

I upgraded from 26 for a brief stop at 27 and then on to 28.

v26 is stable and works beautifully. 

The upgrade to 28 (or 27) lost my playlists, my libraries and saved dlna server settings. Of the 4 renderers that worked in 26 (including the default "player") only 2 now work (one of them is the default "player").

The two that don't work give me the error "there was a problem controlling the selected dlna device ...." and won't play any music file or type. all have the same.

I have tried turning off my firewall (and adding v28 to the allowed list) and antivirus.

Of the 4, they all use the same library ...  they all are associated with the same dlna server ... they are all are on the same network ... they all are discovered in jriver but only two work.
Using v26 (which use the same settings as v27/v28 except for whatever changed) all work and play without error.

Am using this on win10 machine and connecting via wifi and hardwired ethernet to renderers all on same network

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: v28 doesnt work. Help, please
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 02:29:54 pm »

You can try restoring a backup from MC26 to MC28.

Carefully compare your settings between MC26 and MC27.

On Windows 10, configure Windows Defender and don't use other antivirus software.

muslhead

• Recent member
Re: DLNA Renderer Problems
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 03:04:57 pm »

"You can try restoring a backup from MC26 to MC28."
I backed it up today and used that. It did not fix the problem

"Carefully compare your settings between MC26 and MC27". 
I did. Are the settings between 26 and 27 changed when upgrading? if not, then nothing was changed by me unless the upgrade did.  That did not fix the problem

"On Windows 10, configure Windows Defender and don't use other antivirus software."
If you read my entire post i stated i turned off av and firewall as that was my first thought after configuring them in case i did it incorrectly. That did not fix the problem.

The thing that comes to mind with these errors if the av and firewall are not the issue is permissions. If both 26 and 28 use the same access key and 26 works, why shouldnt 28 work if i did not change pw?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 03:08:28 pm »

Don't assume that antivirus isn't a factor.   Are you using anything other than Windows Defender?  Did you read the Windows Defender thread and follow the directions?

Change the Access Key by turning Media Network off and back on.

muslhead

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 03:24:15 pm »

no other av, nothing other than defender. No assumptions but on the same windows machine using or not using defender with different versions of jriver gives me the different results.  Same answer with v24, v25 they work too on same windows machine whether defender is on or off.
Please explain more on the turning media network on and off. if i do this, it will change the key, correct? why do i want to do this? dont i want to keep the key the same since all previous versions of jriver worked with the prior key? Doesnt that sort of guarantee one more variable that could be the problem (there are already enough to have to look at)

When i imported my playlists at initial upgrade, it added all of those to main library which i dont use. All my music sits on a nas with a static ip and those exported playlist from 26 were from my "music" library not the default main library. Is this wrong? Doesnt matter if it is it did not fix the problem if i played from either library but still would be interested to know. In addition, why when i imported my playlists from 26 did it apply them to "main" instead of "music?

Is there a test or something i can do to check the renderers that arent playing? as soon as i click on a song from the library, i get the "there was a problem controlling the selected dlna device ..." followed by (about 3 seconds later) "something went wrong with the playback". What about log files, i turned that on but could not find something anomalous (not that i would know what to look for) shouldnt that error show up with more details?.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 05:49:34 pm »

Yes, you need to try changing the key.

Here's the Windows Defender thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

If your playlists point to the wrong folder, you can edit them by using find and replace.

muslhead

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 06:18:50 pm »

Defender is off and the service has been stopped.

One renderer works and the other doesn't ... both are using same files, folders and program and are all on the same network. I

i will change the key.

My playlists do not point to the wrong folder.

What i tried to say is my playlists, when imported into the upgrade, are applied to the wrong library. I tried to import to a non-default main library but JRiver imported to the default main library instead of the one i selected. How can you import playlists to a library other than the default main?

muslhead

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 06:23:19 pm »

Before i change the key can you confirm doing so will NOT render my working v26 program will not become as useless as v28 with the same problem, please.
I dont want to give up the one installed version that works for me.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 06:36:36 pm »

You can't really turn Defender off, only temporarily disable it.

muslhead

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 06:51:36 pm »

Before i change the key can you confirm doing so will NOT render my working v26 program will not become as useless as v28 with the same problem, please.
I dont want to give up the one installed version that works for me.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 06:56:18 pm »

I can't give you any absolute assurances.  I don't completely understand what your problem is.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 07:28:49 pm »

If you're trying to restore playlists, make sure you load the right library first on the server itself, not on a client.

muslhead

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 05:39:16 am »

You can't really turn Defender off, only temporarily disable it.
Semantics. This response does nothing to address the question/problem
Yes, it is temporary. And ? What point are you trying to make?
Its still off until you turn it back on or restart.
The point I made that was that both were off and the problem still exists. While there are no guarantees, we can comfortably feel ok about looking elsewhere for a fix. But, you keep coming back to this. I am trying to figure out why? its either something i dont know that you do, or some other reason that has nothing to do with finding a fix.

muslhead

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 06:06:43 am »

Another 5 hours of debugging and just a little closer. Unfortunately that time did not find a fix but rather identified (narrowed) where the problem is coming from.

After resetting everything and uninstalling and reinstalling i am able to get all renderers working except one.  That's the good news. The bad news is that one that still doesnt work is the most important as it is used 90% of the time.

This renderer is a wireless WISA hub/preamp that takes a wireless signal from jriver and streams to a pair of speakers. I decided to bypass the hubs wireless connection to jriver and brought a functioning raspberrypi renderer into the chain. I put it in front of the WISA hub. So, hard wired to the pi using the usb out from the pi to the USB input on the hub. With this, I was able to get the pi to render, feed the hub which wirelessly transmitted to the speakers. So it functioned when bypassing the wireless transmission from jriver to the hub. While it worked, all volume controls were defeated. JRiver, the pi OS control and the hub remote.  Nothing was able to control the volume. It was one volume (max) output only.
Putting aside the volume issue as this is not the preferred path and not a permanent fix, since the hub is a certified dlna renderer and works as intended with v26, the only conclusion i can come to is (as mentioned above) it has to be a permissions issue that occurs when transmitting wifi.  I have no other wireless renderers to try and see if its this hub or something else in the chain. But i think its safe to ignore the hub since i can use v26 without issue.  Now it comes down to figuring out why that wireless handoff from jriver to the hub is being blocked.

Is there a setting within jriver (for example the access key) that, if not set correctly, would have the renderer block the signal? How about where to add/change (wifi) network passwords?  or is this purely wifi that is causing the problem and jriver is not contributing?
If not, what changed from v26 to v28?
Just to be clear and repeat myself ... v26 is still installed and works with every renderer exactly as designed. I made no other changes other than upgrade to v28. What happens in the upgrade process to change settings or require those previously working settings to be reconfirmed with each upgrade?

Seems like this should be an easy fix if i knew where to look or change settings. As mentioned in my original post this is what i am called a permissions issue.  Does anyone have a suggestion on what/where to go try next? if it matters the hub uses google home to set up within your network.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 06:47:36 am »

Semantics. This response does nothing to address the question/problem
Yes, it is temporary. And ? What point are you trying to make?
You're not helping yourself or making anyone else want to help you by challenging every bit of advice you get.

Looks like you've found one cause of the problem.   You can probably work out the rest.  Try going back and re-reading this thread with an open mind.

Closing it for a day or two.

With DLNA, the volume is normally controlled on the renderer.  Panel would work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 07:06:02 am »

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
DLNA/WISA issues
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 04:04:43 pm »

Hi, I'm going back to this issue with DLNA/WISA
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129878.msg900951.html#msg900951

Before I had no issues playing my wireless speakers via DLNA but now it's not working.
Will there be any fix?
Will a log file help?

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2021, 10:16:47 am »

Someone?

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2021, 12:59:04 pm »

Have you set up your WiFi router to assign a static IP address to the WISA transmitter?  That may simplify the DLNA discovery process for MC 28.

Can you ping the transmitter from a Windows command window on the MC server PC?  That will test the basic networking situation, though it should be ok if MC 26 still works for you.

MC > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Are the DLNA Server and Controller boxes selected for MC 28?

I don't know what happened to the Whitebear DLNA Renderer tester (can't find it on line today), but running that would be a good check.  Since the WISA is a transmitter only, maybe it does not have all the renderer features that the MC 28 DLNA server is looking for.  I don't think you ever mentioned the make/model of the product you are using and whether it is DLNA "certified".

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2021, 01:42:35 pm »

I don't know what happened to the White Bear DLNA Renderer tester (can't find it on line recently), but that would be another check.  Since the WISA is a transmitter only, maybe it does not have all the renderer features that MC 28 is looking for.
DMRA is the product.  AndrewFG is the author.   Search here.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2021, 01:53:16 pm »

Whitebear DMRA link (not apparent from the Whitebear home page, and my old bookmark had dropped the .htm suffix):
https://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2021, 01:57:59 pm »

Run the Whitebear DMRA against it.
Post the results.
Turn on MC logging.
Try to play a track to the renderer that gives the playback error.
Got back into logging. Do "report problem" and post the log here.

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 02:28:29 pm »

Have you set up your WiFi router to assign a static IP address to the WISA transmitter?  That may simplify the DLNA discovery process for MC 28.

Not sure how to do this but MC 28 discovers the WISA transmitter. It just doesn't work when I try to play music. I also have an OPPO 203 that's connected to the JRiver via DLNA and that works fine.

Can you ping the transmitter from a Windows command window on the MC server PC?  That will test the basic networking situation, though it should be ok if MC 26 still works for you.
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 2ms, Average = 2ms

MC > Options > Media Network > Advanced > Are the DLNA Server and Controller boxes selected for MC 28?
Yes

I don't know what happened to the Whitebear DLNA Renderer tester (can't find it on line today), but running that would be a good check.  Since the WISA is a transmitter only, maybe it does not have all the renderer features that the MC 28 DLNA server is looking for.  I don't think you ever mentioned the make/model of the product you are using and whether it is DLNA "certified".
A platin stereo hub that connects wirelessly to Buchardt speakers
https://buchardtaudio.com/collections/active-speakers/products/hub-remote

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2021, 02:50:36 pm »

Run the Whitebear DMRA against it.
Post the results.
Turn on MC logging.
Try to play a track to the renderer that gives the playback error.
Got back into logging. Do "report problem" and post the log here.
Whitebear DMRA attached.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2021, 02:51:40 pm »

Is WISA DLNA or UPnP compatible?  If not, it probably won't work.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2021, 03:03:22 pm »

Whitebear DMRA attached.
Line 34:
Play test file result=Play failed => Command "SetAVTransportURI" failed / Subscribe error

Try disabling some or all of the DLNA Controller Options:
MC Playing Now > RMB on the WiSA player > DLNA Controller Options > ...

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2021, 03:08:29 pm »

Is WISA DLNA or UPnP compatible?  If not, it probably won't work.
I'm not an expert on this issue but what I do know is that this feature worked until lately. 

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2021, 03:12:05 pm »

I'm not an expert on this issue but what I do know is that this feature worked until lately.

DMRA Report Line 5:
HTTP Server Header=Platform 1.0 CyberLinkC/3.0 UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50

So I think the device server is claiming UPnP/1.0 compatibility.  It is also claimed in the product description:
https://buchardtaudio.com/products/hub-remote

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2021, 03:18:08 pm »

Line 34:
Play test file result=Play failed => Command "SetAVTransportURI" failed / Subscribe error

Try disabling some or all of the DLNA Controller Options:
MC Playing Now > RMB on the WiSA player > DLNA Controller Options > ...
Please see attached screenshot.
Is this what you meant me to do?
If so, I did check the disable option but it didn't do anything.

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2021, 03:21:00 pm »

MC log attached

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2021, 03:21:44 pm »

Please see attached screenshot.
Is this what you meant me to do?
If so, I did check the disable option but it didn't do anything.
Try disabling the first option for Transport Events as well, since the DMRA error mentioned SetAVTransportURI.
You can even try disabling all four at once.

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2021, 03:27:57 pm »

Try disabling the first option for Transport Events as well, since the DMRA error mentioned SetAVTransportURI.
You can even try disabling all four at once.
Unfortunately no change after disabling all four options or only the first one

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2021, 03:38:53 pm »

Your MC log file has multiple lines referring to Buchardt A700 Speaker, so it's definitely been recognized.
Near the bottom of log it seems to be treated as a TV Device.
But I'm not from JRiver, so I cannot really interpret the significance.

Also noticed:
0029311: 15728: General: CDLNADeviceServiceCaller::CallServiceFunction: DLNA function call failed or timeout! url = http://192.168.3.34:38400/AVTransport function = Play execution time = 355.53 ms of 20000 ms.

0029311: 15728: Sharing Plugins: CDLNADeviceConnectionStatus::NotifyCommunicatedWithDevice: Error communicating with device: Buchardt A700 speaker

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 04:28:19 pm »

The log shows MC was testing to see if it WAS a TV device and recognized that it wasn't.

The Play call is executed and failed in 1/3 of a second.
I don't see the call to send the URL.
What are the DLNA server settings used for this device and what is the source format of the material?

Also the DMRA report showed it wasn't accepting event subscriptions as noted above.
That's pretty unusual and would require that "Ignore Transport Events" switch.
OR
the device is wedged. Quite possible, the firmware on these things are often very buggy and you have a lot of devices on your network.
Try POWER CYCLING it (not just shutting it off and back on).

It also has pretty limited format support so again, what are your DLNA server settings and source material?

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2021, 04:43:39 pm »

Where can I see the DLNA server settings?
Isn't this available on the DMRA?

Regarding source material - I tried a bunch of stuff - MP3, mp4, Flac 16 or 24, SACD ISO
Nothing works.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2021, 05:06:41 pm »

Where can I see the DLNA server settings?
Isn't this available on the DMRA?

Regarding source material - I tried a bunch of stuff - MP3, mp4, Flac 16 or 24, SACD ISO
Nothing works.
Go to
Tools->Options->Add or Configure DLNA servers
In there you will see the list of your configured DLNA servers. You may only have the single default server Generic DLNA.
If you have more than one you'll need to check the controller options for that device to see which on is "associated". If none are the first one in the list is used by default.

The server will have options for Audio format. What is it set to?

Did you power-cycle the rendering device??

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2021, 05:23:32 pm »

Go to
Tools->Options->Add or Configure DLNA servers
Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA servers

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2021, 05:29:38 pm »

Ok, I have only one "Generic DLNA".
The audio mode is set to "Original"
In the advanced tab, DLNA& DLNAExtra are checked.

The device was now 20 min unplugged.
Plugged it back in & opened MC28 - The device was recognized but still the same error. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2021, 05:41:17 pm »

Ok, I have only one "Generic DLNA".
The audio mode is set to "Original"
In the advanced tab, DLNA& DLNAExtra are checked.

The device was now 20 min unplugged.
Plugged it back in & opened MC28 - The device was recognized but still the same error.
That all sounds fine.
Where is the source material stored?
What happens if try to play a mp3 on the by clicking on it then right-click on the same mp3 and play it to the renderer?

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2021, 05:46:52 pm »

That all sounds fine.
Where is the source material stored?
External HDD
What happens if try to play a mp3 on the by clicking on it then right-click on the same mp3 and play it to the renderer?
Same error

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2021, 06:58:30 pm »

Same error
It plays locally, right?
In System Preferences->Security and Privacy->Files and Folders
make sure MC28 has access to the external drive.

If it still doesn't work please post a log starting just before the point that you right-click on the file to send it to the renderer.

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2021, 07:29:06 pm »

the MC28 works fine when playing on the player or even with other DNLA devices. Locally and on external drivers. The issue is only with this one particular device.

Log attached.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2021, 02:01:10 am »

Unfortunately no change after disabling all four options or only the first one

There is a detailed troubleshooting thread from one year ago that strongly suggests restarting MC after enabling/disabling any of the events options:
The controller options changes SHOULD take effect after MC is in stop mode (with gapless transitions set you may need to hit stop twice).
Always safer for testing to restart MC though and especially when disabling / enabling events.

You may want to try those player event options again and shut down / restart MC completely after each change.

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2021, 05:55:19 am »

Thanks, but I already thought about this before and I indeed closed the MC after making the changes and then opened it again & tried to see if something changed.

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2021, 06:40:24 am »

Another strange discovery that I've just made...I was able to send a signal to the stereo hub via Bubble UPnP app on my phone.

When I go to the jriver folders on the app and select a track, I see it playing also on my pc and the Buchardt speakers are selected (Please see attached screenshot)

My speakers are also connected via cable to an AV receiver, so I unplugged the HDMI cable from my PC to the AVR, just to make sure that it's not the AVR that is putting out the signal and it's not. The music continued playing even after I pulled out the HDMI cable, so the music definitely came from the hub and works well with the MC via the Bubble UPnP app, just not directly via MC itself...very strange...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2021, 10:00:51 am »

I still don’t see anything useful in the log other than that failed play command.

If you want to keep pursuing this, I need a wireshark trace.
Install wireshark for your PC.
Set a capture filter to only show packets from your rendering device
ip host 1.2.3.4
Change 1.2.3.4 to your renderer IP address.
Start the capture just before you push a track to the renderer and stop it right after the failure.
Save the capture pcap file and email it to
bob (at) jriver (dot) com
Thanks.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2021, 10:02:18 am »

Another strange discovery that I've just made...I was able to send a signal to the stereo hub via Bubble UPnP app on my phone.

When I go to the jriver folders on the app and select a track, I see it playing also on my pc and the Buchardt speakers are selected (Please see attached screenshot)

Interesting indeed and something I was wondering about but was "afraid to ask".

Your Platin Stereo Hub advertises Chromecast Built-in as one of its wireless input capabilities.    The BubbleUPnP Andoid App is very robust and excels at making Chromecast devices available to MC as DLNA zones.  In your case, it is apparently detecting the Buchardt Chromecast renderer.  The Bubble app can use MC as a music server, so it should reveal on the phone most or even all of your normal MC windows and library whenever the MC server is running.

If you tap the chromecast icon (middle right edge) on the Bubble Android App, you should see the Buchardt as one of the available renderers, along with "Local Renderer" which is the phone itself (LG-H990), and you may see the MC Server PC also available as a renderer.

I am always running BubbleUPnPServer (different from the Bubble Android app) on my MC server computer.  In this case, Wireshark captures SSDP NOTIFY alive packets on the ip (wireless) interface, labeled with Server: Windows10/10.0 UPnP/1.0 BubbleUPnPServer/0.9-update41\r\n.  These packets enable Chromecast discovery as a DLNA device by MC.  With Bubble Server, MC treats these as full fledged DLNA zones and so it can play to them even without the Bubble Android App running, something you may want to consider if the direct DLNA issue does not get straightened out.  The zones created with BubbleUPnPServer appear with "(DLNA)" appended to their name.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2021, 10:15:54 am »

MC will get information packets from the renderer while something else is controlling it so that explains that working.
The problem you are seeing with MC as the controller is likely related to the sending of the URI DiDL or the sending of the PLAY command and there isn’t enough info to figure that out without a wireshark trace.

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2021, 10:39:30 am »

Interesting indeed and something I was wondering about but was "afraid to ask".  Do you actually hear music over the Buchardt speakers?
Why would you be afraid to ask? :)
I'm trying to find find out what sounds better - Wireless or wired - and I was hoping for the MC to be the music server to make this comparison.   

Your Platin Stereo Hub advertises Chromecast Built-in as one of its wireless input capabilities.    The BubbleUPnP Andoid App is very robust and excels at making Chromecast devices available to MC as DLNA zones.  In your case, it is apparently detecting the Buchardt Chromecast renderer.  The Bubble app makes use of MC as a music server, so it should reveal on the phone most or even all of your normal MC windows and library whenever the MC server is running.
If you tap the chromecast icon (middle right edge) on the Bubble Android App, you should see the Buchardt as one of the available renderers, along with "Local Renderer" which is the phone itself, and you may see the MC Server PC also available as a renderer.

Attaching 3 screenshots from the ubbleUPnP server.
1) All available renderers
2) Buchardt Chromecast renderer
3) Buchardt DLNA renderer

I only used the 3rd option and it worked.

zender

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2021, 10:42:25 am »

Sorry for the huge pictures. How do I stop it from being so big? :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up