INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most reliable device to stream DLNA  (Read 2152 times)

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
Most reliable device to stream DLNA
« on: July 13, 2021, 02:49:37 pm »

Hello I apologize for not seeing this section of the forums earlier and a somewhat duplicate request.  Only this time I will be a bit more blunt:
The money is burning in my pocket and wants to sacrifice itself for a lasting JRiver paradise :)  I need something to get the music from my NAS to the old receiver.

My parameters are as such -
-Use JRiver desktop from my pc (or my linked windows tablet) to control .  This is very much a firm need as I have no interest in the android or web controllers.
-Taking an ethernet and giving me ideally a toslink optical output.  I can live with RCA if I have to but feel I'll get better results from the digital connection.
-Extremely reliable streaming!  This is the struggle I have and the main goal of this post.

I currently use BubbleUPnP to stream to a Chromecast audio but it just stopped working and figure there has to be a better way.  Do I need to get a JriverID?  I know that staff here wouldn't want to speak against their own company but for others, is this thought to be my truly best and most reliable choice?  Is it easy to install a Hifiberry Digi+ pro if a larger case is purchased?  Is DLNA the only way to accomplish my goals?

The money wants to be free!  What can I purchase to give me simple, reliable, high quality streaming from a MC windows controller?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Most reliable device to stream DLNA
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 04:35:00 pm »

An IdPi card coupled with a hifiberry or similar DAC would be a good fit for you.
The only exception would be if you need more horsepower for dealing with things like multichannel DSD conversion on the Id. Note that most everything can be done server side by changing the DLNA server parameters.
Another nice thing about the Id is that it can do gapless track transitions, not all DLNA devices can do that.

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 05:06:19 pm »

Nope I don't mess with DSD at all - only flac

How difficult is it to add the Hifiberry Digi+ pro?  I believe that what I'm seeing on youtube is that it just snaps into place?
I would however need a larger case than the IdPi comes with, correct?  And that would be easy enough to swap?
Bear in mind I'm old and thus a little bit tech challenged.  If it's simple enough I think I can do it though :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 05:10:31 pm »

Nope I don't mess with DSD at all - only flac

How difficult is it to add the Hifiberry Digi+ pro?  I believe that what I'm seeing on youtube is that it just snaps into place?
I would however need a larger case than the IdPi comes with, correct?  And that would be easy enough to swap?
Bear in mind I'm old and thus a little bit tech challenged.  If it's simple enough I think I can do it though :)
It's pretty straightforward. It does just snap into place on the Pi's header pins and it's supported out of the box for the version of linux that the IdPi uses.
I have 2 hifiberry products, an Digi+ and a Amp2 running on my IdPi's.

You can also roll your own from scratch with raspbian and MC but getting everything headless, etc is a fair amount of work.

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 12:24:14 pm »

So, easy enough to swap everything into the bigger case as well?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 12:31:10 pm »

So, easy enough to swap everything into the bigger case as well?
Yes. IIRC HiFiberry sells cases for this as well.

HaWi

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 11:16:10 am »

If I added a HiFiBerry Digi+ to my rPi4 would I then be able to send 192kHz/24-bit via the HDMI port or would I need to use the output ports from the Digi+ and if so would I still be able to play mch tracks? Sorry for being so uninformed.
many thanks
Hans
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 2788
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.51 64 bit): 3551
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.5 | JRMark (32.0.51 64 bit): 9557
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 1260
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

Dr_Hoon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 10:27:46 pm »

The Yamaha WXAD-10 is a relatively inexpensive wifi (or ethernet) streaming adapter. It only has RCA output but its DAC seems decent enough. I use these as renderers for the amplifiers in my home that aren't DLNA compatible, essentially bringing old gear into the 21st century. Once it's set up via a Yamaha app, it just works within seconds whenever it's powered up. You never have to tinker with it, just stash it away somewhere and forget about it. It can do gapless playback too.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 09:42:31 am »

If I added a HiFiBerry Digi+ to my rPi4 would I then be able to send 192kHz/24-bit via the HDMI port or would I need to use the output ports from the Digi+ and if so would I still be able to play mch tracks? Sorry for being so uninformed.
many thanks
Hans
You could only use the output of the Digi+ to play 24 bit. No multichannel unfortunately.
Our IdNuc will do multichannel HDMI (I do it at home) as well as dolby encoded multichannel out the optical port.
I use both depending on the circumstance with my multichannel amp.

HaWi

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 03:02:41 pm »

Thanks Bob, looks like I'm going to have to seriously consider an IdNUC
rPi5/8GB, Debian 12 Bookworm on SSD | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 2788
MacBookPro (2013), 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, MacOS 11.7.17 | JRMark (32.0.51 64 bit): 3551
Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Sonoma 14.5 | JRMark (32.0.51 64 bit): 9557
Docker Container (shiomax) DS1819+ | JRMark (32.0.45 64 bit): 1260
JRemote 3.43
MO 4Media 1.5.7 | Marantz SR7007 (RSL 5.1) HDMI to MacBookPro

musicmahn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 03:35:29 pm »

So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger here trying to decide between a HiFiBerry Digi2 or the Allo DigiOne. The connection may force the issue but reasonably speaking I could do either toslink or coax.  Am I reading correct that the Allo needs some kind of .txt document altered a bit in order to work?  It's easy to do though?

Last and most important - A baked IdPi is going to be able to communicate easily (DLNA I guess) with my PC and windows tablet, correct?  If I need to use an android app then I need to start my search over as the PC/Windows interface is the one I have customized to appear and operate the way I like.

Any other thoughts for me before I take the plunge?
thx!  :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 04:23:01 pm »

So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger here trying to decide between a HiFiBerry Digi2 or the Allo DigiOne. The connection may force the issue but reasonably speaking I could do either toslink or coax.  Am I reading correct that the Allo needs some kind of .txt document altered a bit in order to work?  It's easy to do though?

Last and most important - A baked IdPi is going to be able to communicate easily (DLNA I guess) with my PC and windows tablet, correct?  If I need to use an android app then I need to start my search over as the PC/Windows interface is the one I have customized to appear and operate the way I like.

Any other thoughts for me before I take the plunge?
thx!  :)
Your use case will be to simply use the IdPi as a very capable DLNA renderer.
You will need to use the GUI with remote desktop or VNC to configure it for the DAC. Other than that you will be sending to it from your PC.

I'm not 100% sure about the Allo. We have one but I can't remember if we modified the config to get it to work.
It was loading an overlay IIRC, the HiFiBerry does that automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up