INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Identical NAS Library Much, Much Slower than Directly Connected Library  (Read 555 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe

I put my 55,000 song library on an NAS (not using it as a server) with hardwired connections.  It handles playlists fine, but trying to tag edit or any other MC command is very slow.  When right clicking a song in the library, it can easily take 3 to 7 seconds to respond to the right click.  I created a library of the identical songs but on a drive directly connected to the computer via usb3 and the response to a right click is virtually instantaneous.  These tests were done with same instance of MC 28.0.42, just different libraries. I have tested different libraries to verify it is not library corruption.   When using file explorer, the access to the NAS and ability to select a file seems almost instantaneous.  The NAS does not have software such as plex, etc. running on it.   Has anyone been successful in using an NAS simply as an external drive for their library.  Any tricks I should know?  Otherwise, I am going to have to use a direct connect hard drive. Sigh.

Edit: I access the NAS through mapping of the NAS drives using the Windows mapping function.
John

MikeO3

• Junior Woodchuck

Try enabling jumbo frames if your network switch supports them.
Check to see if you have a drive sleep timer on the NAS and extend to maybe 30 minutes before idle.
Validte that you are using SMB 2.1 or higher on both devices.

I have been using a NAS for a long time with a mapped drive and do not have delay issues.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try enabling jumbo frames if your network switch supports them.
We've seen that cause problems.

jack wallstreet

Thanks to you both.  I'll give it a try
John

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Do you mean you have the Audio files on the NAS, or the MC Library (database files) itself?

Having the library on the NAS is bound to be much slower for MC, as it needs to do many small accesses which will always be slower over the network. The database is relatively small and the best is to have it on the local PC, preferably with an SSD/M2 drive. You can setup MC Library backups to go to the NAS, for additional protection.

If you want the library on the NAS so that you can open it from different PCs, you should instead setup one of the PCs as an MC Library Server, with the other PCs as Clients.

jack wallstreet

Yes, I put the audio files on the NAS.  The database is on the computer.  In that configuration, MC28 (or 27). is VERY slow (multiple seconds) doing a right click on a file.  This isn't mlliseconds, but seconds.  I do not see significant slowness when clicking  on the NAS files in the windows file explorer.  I have temporarily moved my music files back to the computer (actually duplicated them).  The copy on the NAS is VERY slow to respond.  The copy on the computer is its normal virtually instant response.
John

tij

• MC Beta Team

Possible antivirus/window defender problem
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Agree, try disabling the antivirus or excluding mp3/flac/etc files. There's a forum post about the recommended Defender settings.

When you open the NAS folder, you're just listing the contents. When MC accesses it, it actually opens the files to read the content - this may trigger the antivirus to read the whole file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up