INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which audio interface do you use with JRiver  (Read 1438 times)

charbug

• Recent member
Which audio interface do you use with JRiver
« on: July 27, 2021, 02:03:02 pm »

Just curious which interface you're using with JRiver?  I'm curious if it gives you any issues when using live in and ASIO drivers.  I am using a RME which is a great product but when using live it can be problematic. I have read Motu units are great and Lynx Hilo are good as well. Looking to upgrade to different unit and I'm very curious what people find to sound great and most importantly play well with JRiver.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Which audio interface do you use with JRiver
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 02:41:48 pm »

Teac NT-503.

Flawless device with streaming capabilities and Bluetooth support. Usb with wasapi and asio support. Also has coax and optical inputs and a remote. Native support for 4x DSD.

I use a Motu M4 as recording device. Haven't used it for playback.

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 02:49:40 pm »

Hi I am using RME UFX and UFX II.

It works flawless with ASIO on JRiver, Soundforge, Vinylstudio, foobar2000.

Live In: with WASAPI it works.
Live In: With ASIO I had in the past problems with JRiver, then it worked some time ago, now it again is not working.

Here in the forum are several posts about Open Live. It must be an issue of JRivermost probably.
Strange thing is, I can listen with JRiver and play through RME while I am recording with Vinylstudio or Soundfroge (same tiem). So the RME driver is multiclient.

There mustt be a problem how JRiver accesses ASIO by clicking "Open Live, ASIO Line In"

This is the case with MC26, MC27. MC28 obviosly as well as you reported.

I wonder If other interfaces work with ASIO Line In?

Peter

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 02:50:38 pm »

Teac NT-503.

Flawless device with streaming capabilities and Bluetooth support. Usb with wasapi and asio support. Also has coax and optical inputs and a remote. Native support for 4x DSD.

Have you tried Open Live, ASIO Line-IN? with your devices?

Peter

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 01:37:34 am »

Teac NT-503.

Please try Open Live, ASIO Line-In with Motu M4.

I just saw that the TEAC NT503 is only DA. So not possible to thes Open Live (no Input)

Peter

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 01:40:56 am »

I just saw that the TEAC NT503 is only DA. So not possible to thes Open Live (no Input)

Peter

I'll test it later today, thanks for the info in the PM :D.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 04:12:17 am »

MOTU 1248 and RME FF800

The former works fine with live in, the latter only with the asio multiclient driver to help out (and hence 32 bit only)

Both sound fine for output (current setup involves chaining the FF to the MOTU via adat so the MOTU is the device jriver actually talks to)

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 05:25:52 am »

Just curious which interface you're using with JRiver?  I'm curious if it gives you any issues when using live in and ASIO drivers.  I am using a RME which is a great product but when using live it can be problematic. I have read Motu units are great and Lynx Hilo are good as well. Looking to upgrade to different unit and I'm very curious what people find to sound great and most importantly play well with JRiver.

I use an old ECHO Audiofire 12 Firewire card. There are some inexplicable issues with ASIO, such as MC 64-bit not outputting any sound to it. Other 64-bit ASIO apps work. MC 32-bit works, so that's what I use. ECHO is unsupported at this point under Windows 10. When setup for surround sound, it presents two interfaces to Windows - one for channels 1-8 and a second one for channels 9-12 .

But there is no driver selection of available speakers. So unless you have a full 7.1 system, some of the channels are not output at all. For example, Youtube videos in mono play on the center channel which I don't have on my 4.1 setup in my home office. And thus they are completely silent. This affects many other apps, too. Fortunately, JRiver allows mixing and re-routing of channels using the WDM driver, and that "fixes" the ECHO bug for Directsound app. Sort of, since the added driver latency puts the video & audio out of sync. Enough that I have it disabled by default.

I have outputs 1-8 of the Audiofire 12 going to the 7.1 input of an old Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver.
The Audiofire 12 can function standalone as a mixer when PC is off, so that's a very good reason to keep it. The DACs and ADCs are both excellent.
You can also combine multiple Audiofires . I have Audiofire 8 as well. This makes it a cool 20 in/ 20 out interface under ASIO. The combined device requires the PC to be on, unfortunately. The two interfaces won't talk two each other directly over Firewire without the PC - no standalone hardware mixing between the two.

I got the pair of cards used for about $600. Not sure what I'll replace them with when they die, or if Windows 11 breaks them completely.
I have tried various brand new MOTU and Focusrite before I settled on the ECHO, and ran into various other bugs and limitations with them, so they went back. I'll live with the bugs I know for now.

Sorry I can't give you a recommendation on what to buy, but I could tell you what to avoid. Basically the ECHO are excellent hardware with buggy software, as is so often the case.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 11:04:06 am »

Peter

I don't think this works but I might be doing something wrong. I need to read up on this feature and what its for. I will do some digging and searching and if I have any questions I'll post a new thread asking for help (I don't want to hijack this thread).

Edit: the reason it doesn't work is because the Motu's ASIO interface is only for output from the PC  :-\

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 11:24:27 am »

I don't think this works but I might be doing something wrong. I need to read up on this feature and what its for. I will do some digging and searching and if I have any questions I'll post a new thread asking for help (I don't want to hijack this thread).

Edit: the reason it doesn't work is because the Motu's ASIO interface is only for output from the PC  :-\
That surely can't be right, their manual also says otherwise. Why do you think it is output only?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 12:24:32 pm »

That surely can't be right, their manual also says otherwise. Why do you think it is output only?

Thanks for checking.

I am reading this manual straight from the Motu website:
https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/usb-c-audio/M_Series_User_Guide.pdf

I don't read explicitly that both in- and outputs are ASIO interfaces?

The reason I think ASIO is only output is because I can only select 'Motu M4 series' as ASIO output in JRiver (and it works too ;D), but its not selectable as an input in any recording application. There are 1-2 and 3-4 inputs which are selectable as inputs to record from, these are WASAPI. In the devices list they also show up as wasapi outputs too, as they have the same number designations as the inputs, as 'monitor' and 'line out'.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 12:52:56 pm »

Chapter 4 starts with

M Series interfaces provide multi-channel audio
input and output for Core Audio compatible audio
applications on the Mac and ASIO compatible
applications on Windows

REW usually just reports available channels very plainly so that is one app to try, what other apps are you using to check this?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 01:12:56 pm »

Chapter 4 starts with

REW usually just reports available channels very plainly so that is one app to try, what other apps are you using to check this?

REW shows 4 ASIO inputs as well as 4 outputs. Cool!

Then I must be doing something wrong (or it doesn't work). Either way I can check again tomorrow.

Thanks Matt!

charbug

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 10:40:22 pm »

I have done some research and I am going to go ahead and order the Lynx Hilo.  From my reading it works great with JRiver.  Little on the expensive side considering I have to buy a Mic Pre but it will work out.  I appreciate all the great support here
Pages: [1]   Go Up