INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC not detecting subtitle file anymore  (Read 961 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
MC not detecting subtitle file anymore
« on: July 29, 2021, 03:02:30 pm »

On MC26 I could drop n SRT file in the folder of an imported MP4 file and it would show up and be selectable in the up and down arrow menus during playback.

On MC28.0.44 I cannot do that anymore. I can, however, in the rightclick mouse context menu select subtitles\browse.

Anyone?

raldo

Re: MC not detecting subtitle file anymore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 11:52:19 am »

Bump...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 01:47:04 pm »

No such issues here. Remember, the .srt filename must exactly match the movie file filename?

raldo

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 02:23:01 pm »

[..] Remember, the .srt filename must exactly match the movie file filename?

I don't believe that used to be the case. A long time ago, yes, but on 26 you could choose between several in the up down arrow menu.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 03:11:27 pm »

If they're not the same filename, how would MC know which movie the external .srt file belongs to?

mkv files can contain several different subtitle options. Saved inside the mkv container file, MC can see, and present them all, as well as any external .srt files that have the same name as the movie file. I do not know if the same applies to mp4 files?

I am pretty certain that if the external .srt file is not named the same as the movie file, MC will not detect it.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 03:38:56 pm »

For subtitles to be automatically offered, the subtitle file must be in the same folder as the movie, or in a subfolder called Sub/Subs/Subtitle/Subtitles, and the filename of the subtitle must contain the movie filename, so eg. Movie.mkv and Movie.en.srt would work, or Movie-English.srt, all fine. English.srt alone would not work.

Arbitrary names are problematic when you have more then one video in one folder, common with for example TV series, or even a multi-part movie or movie series. Hence these rules.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 04:05:50 pm »

For subtitles to be automatically offered, the subtitle file must be in the same folder as the movie, or in a subfolder called Sub/Subs/Subtitle/Subtitles, and the filename of the subtitle must contain the movie filename, so eg. Movie.mkv and Movie.en.srt would work, or Movie-English.srt, all fine. English.srt alone would not work.

Arbitrary names are problematic when you have more then one video in one folder, common with for example TV series, or even a multi-part movie or movie series. Hence these rules.
Thanks Hendrik. Every day's a school day :)

raldo

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 01:26:26 am »

[...]

would it be possible to automatcally offer subtitles when there are few srt files (less than, say, three) and none of the ambiguities you mention above are preset?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 01:36:25 am »

would it be possible to automatcally offer subtitles when there are few srt files (less than, say, three) and none of the ambiguities you mention above are preset?

No plans to do that. Trying to guess is never a good experience, so I would rather stick to naming requirements that many other players also use.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

raldo

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 02:52:56 am »

I wasn't actually thinking of guessing, just presenting the list in the arrows up down list when there are fewer than three.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2021, 03:03:55 am »

Some ppl put all their mkv in same folder (not me) ... what you suggesting will be nightmare for them ... thats why srt have to contain movie name in them, so MC can fifigure to which movie it belong (this is what other plauers do to ... kodi, plex, etc)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

raldo

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 01:20:12 pm »

Some ppl put all their mkv in same folder (not me) ... what you suggesting will be nightmare for theme [...]
My suggestion is to present the list only in case there is one video file and a few srt files.

When downloaing files, each movie is usually located in a new folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up