INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compilation CD Rips Being Split Up  (Read 694 times)

David M.

• Recent member
Compilation CD Rips Being Split Up
« on: August 03, 2021, 04:03:46 am »

Good Morning,
This hasn't occurred before, so it's something that is occurring in Version 28 with Windows 10.
I rip "box collections" or artist multi-disc releases where there are more than one disc, as CD1 or CD2 and so on.
My latest example is  a three disc set called The Real...Percy Faith And His Orchestra.  This is a three CD set.
When I rip multiple CD's I always create the first CD titles and then the successive discs, I copy and paste the titles and update CD1 to CD2 and so on.
Now I am finding, Version 28 is taking the first CD of ANY set and creating it's own album entry and the other CD's go into their respective existing folders.
In the case I outlined, CD1 now has it's own folder and CD's 2/3 have been automatically placed correctly into the Percy Faith folder.
I have never had this problem before version 28.  The program won't allow me to move the CD into its correct folder.  If I delete and reinstall, the same applies.  It's always the first CD that gets a folder of it's own.
If it's a multiple artist box set, the same applies, the first CD is put into a separate folder and the other CD's go into a folder together minus the first CD.
Has anyone else come across this problem and found a way round it?
The program has correctly installed the music in the library, it's just the way it's doing it, making multiple entries.
Many Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Compilation CD Rips Being Split Up
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 05:15:16 pm »

If you rename the files using the library tool does that work?  You can pick the rules for building the filename.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 03:39:35 am »

David M.
It happens all dependig on the settings you have in the Rip dialog, and the tags that are looked up. Sometimes a compilation will be have"CD1" in the album name, then "CD 2" in the second one, then they appear as 2 different albums listed on the window.

I can't think of a time when I don't have to clean up tags on a compilation first, because the tags are always different - nothing to do with MC28 really. My routine is to clean up tags of all the trracks first, by adding Disk # then, consisent album name to get rid of "CD1" as above. Then the tags are clean, use F6 to move and rename the tracks all into the same folder with the name in my case /Artist/Year-AlbumName/"Disk#-Track# Name".type.

MC cannot control how every disk has organised the tags as they are looked up of the internet database somewhere, so there will always be some intervention if you want to organise. If you don't want to organise them that's fine too - the tracks will still be there just perhaps in different grouping than you'd expect.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

David M.

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 03:51:27 am »

Hello Again,

Many thanks for the replies,

I have doubled down on my tagging to make sure they are correct.

I use Logitech Media Player as well as JRiver as a source for streaming in my home.  I have to use both for various reasons, (old equipment, mixed manufacturers etc).
The tags I have for the latest two box sets or compilations, (incidentally both Percy Faith And His Orchestra)show correctly in Logitech Media Server/Muso (operating as the computer front end visual source).  They are also correct in a separate library program I have and that is notorious for showing up irregularities.

With these last two compilations, I didn't accept the online metadata (because of errors) but created my own so I knew it was correct, as previously I have found incorrect metadata downloaded has messed up the tags. when you try to alter the entries.

The compilations created in JRiver27 are unaffected and were prepared in the same way.  This problem is not retrospective, it has just started happening with JRiver28. It's always the first CD that is separated from the rest.  The program creates what in effect is a duplicate folder, sitting next to the folder it should be in.  The program will not allow a manual transfer or install into the correct folder.  I have not adjusted any settings for the program.  I use it, as per the download.

I'm still trying to find a way round this, because if I alter the title to "The Real Percy Faith And His Orchestra - A" the B, then C, the program still puts CD marked A into a separate folder and B/C into the correct folder.

There is something in the settings, I just have not found as yet.

Cheers
D.M.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 07:06:36 am »

A screenshot of the problem can help a lot in troubleshooting (screenshot that shows tags at same time will be even more useful)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

A.K.

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 06:10:25 am »

Maybe there are differences in tag fields, genre, album-artist perhaps?

Use same genre for each box, no matter if artist styles are different on each cd. Keywords and description fields are handy because they don't mess album sorting and are useful when finding forgotten music buried in archive.

David M.

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2021, 07:12:07 am »

Hello,
I checked my rips over and over again without finding any visible problem.
So, that left only one choice and that was to redo the rips from the ground up.
I did that and compared the result with the ones causing a problem.  They were identical to the eye, but the computer decided one was right and one remained wrong.
So having redone the rips, JRiver put them into my library correctly and I was able to delete the "incorrect" rips.
It's odd that two separate rips developed the same problem and the only way to overcome it was to complete do them again.
Thank you to those members who took the time and trouble to reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up