INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Fixed) Issues and glitches in the various JRiver MC views + Upgrade experiences  (Read 1654 times)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Today, I finally moved most of my systems to MC28. So far, everything works. Thank you very much :)

Under Windows, the upgrade was mostly pretty smooth. For my workstation, it was perfect. All settings and registration were kept, it just ran out-of-the-box. Great! Just for the HTPC, it didn't work that great. I had MC27 installed as the admin, and actually use it with another, unprivileged account (so my users can't easily destroy the system). When doing the install, MC28 doesn't pick up the library and other settings (and MC27 kept autostarting), most likely because the admin account doesn't have any of these. I had to do all of this manually. At least it kept the registration...

Under Linux, I had to manually move the library and thumbnails manually from MC27 to MC28 (/etc/user/.jriver/), redo all settings not stored in the library and manually register again (using up another restore). It worked, but no comparison to the Windows experience (although this is also flawed somewhat, see above).

Next thing I did was checking whether MC28 would address the issues I had seen in many views... And it did not. They are all still there.

The current main issue/glitch categories:
  • Cover Art is not correctly displayed in many instances (top/bottom or left/right is truncated when aspect ratio is relatively close to the box/frame designated for display) *
  • Text is cut off without any indication that something is missing **
  • Closing MC28 in e.g. Audio/Artists/Albums/ and then reopening it, restores the view, but clicking on the "Artist" part of the view tab is not working, the link is dead **

Therefore, I've now created this new topic under MC28 and link back to my original thread for MC27:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129640.0.html

Edit:
All issues are fixed now, as far as I can tell. Thanks to everybody involved, great customer service :)

* Solution: Tools --> Options --> Tree & View --> Thumbnails --> (deactivate) Standardize aspect ratios (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130316.msg903956.html#msg903956)
** Fixed: Install 28.0.53 or higher (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130449.0.html)
END OF LINE.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Please test 28.0.51 when it's available.  This change is coming:
Fixed: In some cases, thumbnail text would not draw with an ellipsis at the end to show it was cut off even if it was.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

When I start back up in Artists view, if I mouse over the tab, it shows the drop menu.  You don't need a click.

The first menu item is "Library Views."

Is that what you're talking about?  It's working for me (no click required).

Thanks.

marko

• MC Beta Team

It's the breadcrumb trail Matt. On relaunch, it's dead. The only way to get out of "Air" albums here, and back to a list of artists is to leave the view and come back to it. Note that the back button does not bring it to life, you have to start over.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

It's the breadcrumb trail Matt. On relaunch, it's dead. The only way to get out of "Air" albums here, and back to a list of artists is to leave the view and come back to it. Note that the back button does not bring it to life, you have to start over.

Got it.  I'm playing with saving and loading the history (because after a restart the history is gone so the back command doesn't work).

It looks promising, but we'll just see how it goes.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Fixed: In some cases, thumbnail text would not draw with an ellipsis at the end to show it was cut off even if it was.

Thanks.
Thanks Matt, I will do that. Thanks for looking into this :)

Got it.  I'm playing with saving and loading the history (because after a restart the history is gone so the back command doesn't work).

It looks promising, but we'll just see how it goes.
Thanks again, Matt, and thanks marko for providing a better explanation :)

So, that was really quick, I'm impressed, once more. That's two issues being tackled, leaving one. Any thoughts on the Cover Art truncation issues?

Maybe, when building the thumbnails, the aspect ratio of each thumbnail could also be analyzed, and then the box/frame could be adapted, like:
  • full height, fitted (i.e. smaller) width for high, thin images (aspect ratio smaller than aspect ratio of the standard box/frame in the view), and
  • full width, fitted (i.e. smaller) height for wide, thick images (aspect ratio bigger than aspect ratio of the standard box/frame in the view)
END OF LINE.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

So, that was really quick, I'm impressed, once more. That's two issues being tackled, leaving one. Any thoughts on the Cover Art truncation issues?

Maybe, when building the thumbnails, the aspect ratio of each thumbnail could also be analyzed, and then the box/frame could be adapted, like:
  • full height, fitted (i.e. smaller) width for high, thin images (aspect ratio smaller than aspect ratio of the standard box/frame in the view), and
  • full width, fitted (i.e. smaller) height for wide, thick images (aspect ratio bigger than aspect ratio of the standard box/frame in the view)

Could you post a screenshot showing cover art truncation?  It's not a problem I'm familiar with.

Is it only certain views?  If you rebuild the thumbs is it still truncated?

Thanks.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Could you post a screenshot showing cover art truncation?  It's not a problem I'm familiar with.

Is it only certain views?  If you rebuild the thumbs is it still truncated?

Thanks.
No problem, and I have to thank you.

As far as I can tell, this happens in all views, be it Theater View, or the regular views.

Examples are here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129640.msg899406.html#msg899406
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129640.msg899674.html#msg899674
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129640.msg899687.html#msg899687

It doesn't matter whether the thumbnails are being rebuild. If you'd like, I can pull a few of these off my server and send them to you, so you can test it on your system.

If the aspect ratio is close to what the standard frame/box has, it is not that noticeable, but basically, almost every piece of cover art is truncated to some degree.
END OF LINE.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

No problem, and I have to thank you.

As far as I can tell, this happens in all views, be it Theater View, or the regular views.

Examples are here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129640.msg899406.html#msg899406
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129640.msg899674.html#msg899674
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129640.msg899687.html#msg899687

It doesn't matter whether the thumbnails are being rebuild. If you'd like, I can pull a few of these off my server and send them to you, so you can test it on your system.

If the aspect ratio is close to what the standard frame/box has, it is not that noticeable, but basically, almost every piece of cover art is truncated to some degree.

Could you mail me a couple images that show the problem?  I'm matt at jriver.  Let me know if it's only certain views too.

Thanks.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

Could you mail me a couple images that show the problem?  I'm matt at jriver.  Let me know if it's only certain views too.

Thanks.
I have sent you an E-Mail. Thanks again :)
END OF LINE.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
Re: Issues and glitches in the various JRiver MC views + Upgrade experiences
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 12:18:37 am »

I've seen similar behavior occasionally in both MC 27 and MC 28 - but I cannot pin down the circumstances that cause the tab label breadcrumb to become unresponsive.  Intermittent - sometimes it just seems to happen after I've been playing through an album for a while, as if something times out and the breadcrumb stops working.

What always restores it for me:  Open the tab's drop down menu by hovering mouse over the tab. Then select the desired view from the menu, in your example it would be "Artist", which immediately re-activates the Artist view (one click workaround).  The same happens when I tree select Audio > Artist view to activate the unresponsive tab.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2021, 02:52:51 am »

What always restores it for me:  Open the tab's drop down menu by hovering mouse over the tab. Then select the desired view from the menu, in your example it would be "Artist", which immediately re-activates the Artist view (one click work around).  The same happens when I tree select Audio > Artist view to activate the unresponsive tab.
Thanks, that works here too. I wonder, if that's working, then maybe the breadcrumb link could be tied to that same target instead of the history?
END OF LINE.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2021, 08:14:46 am »

It took some digging, but the image stuff is an option already today.

Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Standardize aspect ratios

With that on, we will fill the edges of images to make them have the same aspect as other images.  Just turn that off if you prefer.

Thanks.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2021, 08:24:37 am »

It took some digging, but the image stuff is an option already today.

Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > Standardize aspect ratios

With that on, we will fill the edges of images to make them have the same aspect as other images.  Just turn that off if you prefer.

Thanks.
Instantly turned it off and checked- everything seems to look perfect now. Brilliant, thanks Matt :)
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 03:00:46 am »

Thanks.
Installed 28.0.53 today, and it works :) Also, the breadcrumb link works too, cool :)

I was already a happy customer before, but now I'm feeling even better  8)

Thank you very much, Matt (and everybody else involved), great work :)
END OF LINE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up