INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jewel Case label measurements wrong  (Read 2424 times)

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
Jewel Case label measurements wrong
« on: March 29, 2003, 05:01:34 pm »

In at least build 134 and now 137 jewel case labels are too wide and too high for a standard jewel case. I have to trim one of the parts of the tray label that makes up the edge, then trim a bit more to get it to fit in the case.

Also have to trim along the top or bottom edge of the front label to fit.

You can't release version 9 that way - can you?

Holden
...happy to be among such a great bunch of members. Holden

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Jewel Case label measurements wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 06:19:41 am »

The sizes haven't changed. Did they use to work? Are you using a different printer or OS or driver? I assume you're talking about the generic plain paper layouts.
How much do you have to trim off?
Regular or slim-line style?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 06:51:48 am »

JohnT, labels have always worked fine for me in the past. Same printer, OS and drivers. And I am using generic, plain paper and regular style.

I would guess I have had to trim about 1/4 to 5/16th of an inch off the width, which of course destroys the edge of the label. And about 1/16th of an inch off the top or bottom of the front label.

After reading your reply I started to wonder if it is possible the new jewel cases I am using are slightly smaller than usual. But I've just checked that out and there is no difference in size in these cases I am using and of the cases on CDs I have in my collection.

Very strange!

Holden

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 08:24:48 am »

What I'd like to see is a (optional) dotted hairline border to use as a cutting outline border (like Nero does) when plain paper is used (rather than pre-perforated) and not using a background image. I haven't seen any option for it.

10-27

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 11:21:02 am »

Holden-

Not sure what would be causing the problem. I did a couple tests and the sizes were ok for me. Are you printing from the "wizard" or from the full label editor?

Xen-uno-

When I print labels they have dashed lines at the cutting locations. When printing from the editor (rather than the wizard), you have to have "print outlines" checked in the print dialog. Maybe there's a problem with the way we talk to your printer driver. What kind of printer do you have?

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 11:45:19 am »

JohnT

Whether I go to label printing from the burn options or from tools, CD labeler, I end up with the form that has Wizard at the top left. So I assume I'm using the wizard. I didn't know there was another way.

Could that make a difference, and how would I do it without the wizard?

Thank you.

Holden

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 01:03:36 pm »

John...

It's an HP LJ5si and the dotted border is there on print preview. However, if you go into the full Label Editor and then select Print then pick Print Preview again...then the outline disappears.

10-27

edit: Scratch my post...pure bunk on my part. Found the outline option after retracing my steps. Everything is groovy now. Peace brother.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2003, 04:31:20 am »

JohnT

Whether I go to label printing from the burn options or from tools, CD labeler, I end up with the form that has Wizard at the top left. So I assume I'm using the wizard. I didn't know there was another way.

Could that make a difference, and how would I do it without the wizard?

Thank you.

Holden
You can get into the full editor program by clicking on the "Go to label editor" button on the "Print" screen in the wizard.
Before trying that however, try choosing a pre-printed label type and doing a print. Then go back to your generic choice and do a print. That might clear out an incorrect registry value. Just a shot in the dark....

Xen-uno-
Glad it's working for you now.

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2003, 07:41:06 am »

You can get into the full editor program by clicking on the "Go to label editor" button on the "Print" screen in the wizard.
Before trying that however, try choosing a pre-printed label type and doing a print. Then go back to your generic choice and do a print. That might clear out an incorrect registry value. Just a shot in the dark....

Thanks, JohnT

I did as you suggested but both the Pre-printed label, then the generic were still too large. What I am doing now is trimming the tray labels as close as I can to the edge text, then folding a bit on the inside of both fold markers. This is a poor substitute for a good label but seems to be the best I can get.

Holden

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2003, 07:53:23 am »

Could you measure the size you're getting on the front cover generic label? Measure to the dashed lines which represent the edges.
Thanks!

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2003, 10:16:14 am »

Could you measure the size you're getting on the front cover generic label? Measure to the dashed lines which represent the edges.
Thanks!

I've noted references to dashed lines regarding the labels, John, but I've always had solid lines in my printed results. But that is no problem.

After your instructions to use a pre-printed option I printed only the tray label, so wasn't aware there might have been a difference in the front label. But after going back to generic, there was a diff from previous front labels I had said were printing too large. They had been 5" high by 4 29/32" wide.

Now, after printing a pre-printed label and going back to generic, the generic front label is 4 7/8 inches square.

I hope all this is not too convoluted to make sense.

Holden

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2003, 10:55:14 am »

So does the front label fit ok now? Mine measure 4.75 by 4.75 inches.

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2003, 11:34:22 am »

So does the front label fit ok now? Mine measure 4.75 by 4.75 inches.

No, the front label does not fit right. Your measurements of 4.75 inches would be correct to fit my jewel cases. However, that's not a big concern of mine as I can easily trim it to size.

It's the tray label that has to be damaged to make it fit the case. It's a puzzle.

But John, thank you for sticking with this for so long. That's just one of the great things about J River's team. You bend over backwards to solve problems. As you know, that's not the case with all software producers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up