INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyze Audio - BluRay Audio Only  (Read 485 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Analyze Audio - BluRay Audio Only
« on: August 15, 2021, 07:35:59 pm »

I have some bluray audio only discs that I've ripped, and then analyzed with JRiver.  These are full disk backups (not mkv).  Analysis seems to work, with most audio tracks having a 8 - 10db reduction, but...

One of them, Simple Minds - Sparkle in the rain, indicates it's analyzed, but something is wrong with analysis, as playback is way to loud.  This is not just a matter of a small adjustment, but rather blast you out of your chair louder.  Attempting to reanalyze indicates it is already completed.  Forcing reanalysis results in the same settings.

Does this just happen sometimes with the analysis of bluray audio?

FWIW - I've extracted the audio from this bluray to flac (DVDAudioExtractor), and those extracted files analyze properly.

Thanks

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Analyze Audio - BluRay Audio Only
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 02:10:31 pm »

I think MC analyzes only first audio track (extracted track to flac creates one flac file per track and those get analize) ... are you playing secondary tracks of blu ray?

EDIT: what i meant ... files in bluray might have multiple audio in one file (depending on how it was mastered) ... i think only first track get analyzed ... so if you playing third audio track , it is not analyzed (possibly analyzed value of first track might be applied to it ... not sure about this)

This is true for mkv files too (or any format that can contain multiple audio)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 02:43:19 pm »

Doesn't matter which tracks or combination of playback options are selected.
I cannot find anything on the disk where a 1db reduction seems correct.

Thanks

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 08:59:13 pm »

I hope we mean same thing when we refer to "track"

I dont mean track as

1. Up On The Catwalk
2. Book Of Brilliant Things

I mean track (probably more correctly "stream") as PCM, DTS HDMA, etc ... one of them get analysed
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 09:37:11 pm »

By 1st track I thought you meant 1st track of 1st audio stream.   

When I first played this disk,  I selected the stream i.e. PCM from the bluray's menu and played the first song.  "PCM" is the first selection on that menu, but perhaps the BD menu does not match up with the actual stream order (but every stream I selected from the BD menu, played back with the same -1db correction).

Ultimately, I guess the answer is I'm not sure and I'll have to check (tomorrow).   

Can I check order by playing video without bluray menu, and then right click to see available streams and their order, according to JRiver?

Does that makes sense, or do you know if there is some other way I should do this?

Thanks for the help.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 10:55:03 pm »

Order of audio track in BD menus does not neccesary match order of tracks in actual file. Opening file directly with MC (or MPC-HC, MPC-BE, VLC) should display correct order of streams ... or can use mediainfo utility to see composition of streams.

On other thought ... if all your tracks (as in songs) all open up with same dB correction. It is possible that all tracks (as in songs) are in one file ... then BD uses playlist/chapters to locate tracks (as in songs) in that one file. In this case ... i think MC will do analyze on whole file (not individual tracks/songs)

EDIT: also … I think MC analyzes audio per item in its database … so if you have one BD disc as one item in MC database (as opposed to having its tracks/songs as items) … MC will treat it as one big item

With whole Audio CD images … this is solved by having CUE sheets to indicate where each track/song starts/begins  … but since you want to use BD menus … I don’t think there is solution to that

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 10:41:59 am »

Took closer look and realized that the analysis did not assign a DR value, as it was blank.  I was only looking at DSP showing there was a 1DB reduction and completely missed that there was never a DR value produced.

I did manage to get this resolved. 

In the backup's stream directory there are two files.  00000.mt2s and 00001.mt2s.

On a hunch I renamed the 00000.mt2s so that JRiver would ignore it.  I reanalyzed and now DR value seems to be set correctly.

After rename the bluray would not play, so I simply renamed back to original name.  All seems fine now.

I don't know enough about these blurays, but my guess is that it is part of the "security" feature.  The menu selection knows what the proper stream file is, but JRiver does not.
Renaming that one file somehow gets JRiver to analyze the "correct" file.

Perhaps this is something that JRiver can take a look at.  If the initial analysis yields a bad DR, then it should look for an additional stream file and attempt processing with that one?

Anyway, just guessing.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 11:15:34 am »

That 00000.mt2s could have been warning or backround for BD menus. Hence, it might have no audio at all for MC to analyze.

Its hard for MC to guess which mt2s is supposed to be what (BD actually use playlist to play content ... mpls files, which basically specify sequence of mt2s among other things). To be honest, i am not even sure which m2ts MC chooses to analyze in BD.

Glad you able to resolve it though.

Personally ... if that BD has no video ... just pure audio BD ... i would just extract audio to mka (one mka per track per stream ... so i would have several versions of album in hdma, pcm, hi res) using mkvtoolnix (no quality loss) ... but tgats just personal preference

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 12:14:39 pm »

When the audio is only a couple of different versions such as stereo vs multichannel that makes sense.  But many have of these audio only contain multiple versions of the album, extras, outtakes, etc..  Too many for me to extract and then come up with a way to differentiate them in JRiver.  For me, the bluray menu just makes and is easiest way to playback what you want to listen to.

Even so, I usually select one stereo and one multichannel for extraction, and index those into my non "video" library.

Thanks for the help.
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h
Pages: [1]   Go Up