INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist albums, file structure, more than 1 disc  (Read 463 times)

slaphead59

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Artist albums, file structure, more than 1 disc
« on: August 16, 2021, 12:39:04 pm »

I'm using MC28.
I have all my music stored in relevant folders, named Artist, Compilations, Soundtracks.

I'm trying to get all my artist albums stored in an artists folder, and have them named in the Artist/Album structure.
My base path when renaming moving and copying files, is therefore C:\Users\steve\Music\Artists

Inside each named artist folder, is stored the albums by that artist.
For example I have an album by Rob Dougan which has 2 discs, and in MC library, the albums are names as follows
Furious Angels [CD1]
Furious Angels [CD2]

What rule do I need to use, so that for any album that has more than 1 disc, they are stored in the relevant album folder, like so

C:\Users\steve\Music\Artists\Rob Dougan\Furious Angels\CD1
C:\Users\steve\Music\Artists\Rob Dougan\Furious Angels\CD2

Hopefully I've explained properly what I'm trying to do.
Thanks in advance

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Artist albums, file structure, more than 1 disc
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 06:14:03 am »

Probably under F6, Directory section base path as;

\[Artist]\[Album]\CD[Disk#]

Although I have not tried it - you get a preview in the F6 dialog box. Note MC does not care where you store the files as long as they are under the parent folder which is monitored for import.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

slaphead59

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 03:04:15 pm »

Hi David.
Thanks for your response, but I tried that, to no avail.
I think it somehow matters how the album is named as whatever I do, I can't seem to get this to work......yet!
I'll play around with 1 album I've copied to a folder on my desktop, and see what happens, and update you when I'm successful.

Album is currently named as
Album Name [CD1]
Album Name [CD2]

Steve.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 03:19:00 am »

You should rename your albums and use the [Disc #] field. For the example you gave, both should be named "Album Name" (as they are in fact the same album), and then each track would have "1" or "2" in the [Disc #] field.

If you have [CD1] in the Album Name itself, you need a more complex expression, like this:
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\steve\Music\Artists\[album artist (auto)]\replace(replace([Album],/ /[CD,\CD),],)
This should work for albums with or without the [CD1] in the name. It won't work for lowercase, curved parenthesis, spaces, or any other variation - "[cd1]", "(CD1)", "[CD 1]", etc will not work. A more complex expression can be done to handle all cases.

If you fix your names and enter the [Disc #] values instead, you would use something like this:
Code: [Select]
C:\Users\steve\Music\Artists\[album artist (auto)]if(isempty([disc #]),,\CD[disc #])

slaphead59

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2021, 03:39:53 am »

Thank you zybex, that worked a treat. :)
No way would I have EVER figured that out, with my limited knowledge.
Much appreciated.
Steve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up