INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lookup metadata from another file?  (Read 624 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Lookup metadata from another file?
« on: September 08, 2021, 12:35:21 pm »

I'd like to write an expression that can lookup data from another file.

For instance, I've got some library fields and expressions that help me deal with special features for movies in Plex. To get these to work, the files need to exist in the same directory as the movie itself (or in a subdirectory of that directory). To accomplish this I've added an extra field that tracks the type of special feature, and then my file renaming expressions insure it ends up in the correct place.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to bind that root directory to the special feature without assigning it all the same location-based tags that the main movie has. It would be so much easier if I could do something like:

Code: [Select]
Lookup(fileKey, fieldName)Where fileKey would be the file key of the file I want to reference and fieldName would be the value I want to retrieve.

Then I could do something like assign the file key of the movie file I want to bind the special feature to and then all of my file naming expressions could just lookup the directory name and other relevant information from there. If I move the movie somewhere else, then the special features can figure out where they should be from there.

Is there some way to do this? Some of the existing functions look close but none seem like they work against anything other than the current file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up