INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD 5000 series APU vs 4K HDR Blu-ray  (Read 4087 times)

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
AMD 5000 series APU vs 4K HDR Blu-ray
« on: October 29, 2021, 12:03:17 am »

Has anyone tried the above APUs with JRiver MC 28? I'm thinking about upgrading one 6-year old HTPC upstairs from an i5-6400 to an AMD 5600g or 5700g. Has anyone tried them with under Windows 10 (or 11) ?
How does it perform with Blu-ray 4K HDR content ? Is it able to keep up ? Or is a discrete GPU still required ?
And will JRiver MC be able to switch the TV to HDR mode automatically ?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: AMD 5000 series APU vs 4K HDR Blu-ray
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 12:58:26 am »

I've not tried the AMD's but the new JRVR is looking very promising for iGPU.  I can play UHD Blu-rays on 6th/7th/8th generation NUCs with HDR Tonemapping just fine (with the excpetion of the 50/60fps which they are just not fast enough.... but maybe with the upcoming HDR passthrough that is to be added soon).  So give JRVR a go on your existing i5-6400 and see how it goes.
JRiver CEO Elect

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:57:37 am »

I've not tried the AMD's but the new JRVR is looking very promising for iGPU.  I can play UHD Blu-rays on 6th/7th generation NUCs with HDR Tonemapping just fine (with the excpetion of the 50/60fps which they are just not fast enough.... but maybe with the upcomming HDR passthrough that is to be added soon).  So give JRVR a go on your existing i5-6400 and see how it goes.

Thanks. I'm using a GTX 1050Ti with my i5-6400 currently. But would like to see if I can get rid of the GPU (or repurpose it), and upgrade the CPU to an APU. I believe I couldn't play HDR blu ray on my 6th Gen 6400 because the iGPU doesn't support HDR. It doesn't do hardware decoding of HDR streams. And also, I don't think it can output HDR because the HDMI port is only 1.4. I tried a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 adapter. It allowed 4K 60, but i don't recall if HDR worked. What I do recall is that bitstreaming got broken by it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 03:13:50 pm »

Sorry - I mis-typed. I've tested on an i5 NUC7 and NUC8 (not a gen 6) so can't comment on the i6-6400.  You could try JRVR easy enough by plugging the cable into the Mobo's HDMI port and see how it goes.  The good news is my old NUCs only struggle with 50/60fps HDR material (fine with "std" 23.976 UHD BD) so more modern and powerful iGPU should be fine..... but I'm waiting for the upcoming Intel 12th gen to see how their iGPUs look before making a decision to upgrade these old NUCs.
JRiver CEO Elect

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 05:20:35 pm »

Sorry - I mistyped, I've tested on an i5 NUC7 and NUC8 (not a gen 6) so can't comment on the i6-6400.  You could try JRVR easy enough by plugging the cable into the Mobo's HDMI port and see how it goes.  The good news is my old NUCs only struggle with 50/60fps HDR material (fine with "std" 23.976 UHD BD) so more modern and powerful iGPU should be fine..... but I'm waiting for the upcoming Intel 12th gen to see how their iGPUs look before making a decision to upgrade these old NUCs.

It also involves re-enabling the iGPU in the BIOS, and installing Intel iGPU drivers, side by side with the nVidia drivers, which may cause issues. I believe I have tested all this before, and the iGPU on the 6400 just wasn't good enough. That's why I got the nVidia in it. For my use case, I wouldn't consider an NUC. I already have a nice HTPC case, Thermaltake DH101. It has space for an optical drive. And a full ATX motherboard. I am just thinking about replacing the motherboard with a new one, either B550 or X570, and an AMD APU. I would keep the DDR4-2666 RAM. Just wondering if the APU would keep up with 4K HDR or not, or if I still need the nVidia GPU. If I still need it, I might buy a 5600X instead of 5600G/5700G. Or maybe just keep the 6400 I have now.

So, I would still really like to hear from others who have the 5000 series APU to see how they perform with JRiver for 4K HDR. I know those APUs haven't been out for a long time, but I can't be the first to try them.

Manfred

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 12:16:00 pm »

fitbrit from MC beta Team wrote:

http://https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=18929

Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G using integrated APU video on an HDR capable screen:
Tested with Allegiant UHD HDR rip:
Looks over saturated and is juddery in places in JRVR.
Small improvements in PQ with hardware acceleration turned off, but still over saturated), but less-so than with acceleration on.
MadVR, is smoother and looks better with both HDR passthrough and tone-mapping.

With an Adele (1080p SDR, 25fps converted to 29fps, I believe) concert bluray JRVR was better out of the box. I had automatic display refresh rate set to show 29 fps material at 29 Hz. In MadVR it is stuttery, unless this setting is changed to 59 Hz. JRVR did a good job even at 29Hz compared to MadVR.

It's still very exciting to have this feature, even as a preview. I can't wait to see it in its finished form with HDR pass-through and improved tone-mapping, some configurables and an OSD for monitoring/debugging.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 02:52:35 pm »

fitbrit from MC beta Team wrote:

http://https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=18929

Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G using integrated APU video on an HDR capable screen:
Tested with Allegiant UHD HDR rip:
Looks over saturated and is juddery in places in JRVR.
Small improvements in PQ with hardware acceleration turned off, but still over saturated), but less-so than with acceleration on.
MadVR, is smoother and looks better with both HDR passthrough and tone-mapping.

With an Adele (1080p SDR, 25fps converted to 29fps, I believe) concert bluray JRVR was better out of the box. I had automatic display refresh rate set to show 29 fps material at 29 Hz. In MadVR it is stuttery, unless this setting is changed to 59 Hz. JRVR did a good job even at 29Hz compared to MadVR.

It's still very exciting to have this feature, even as a preview. I can't wait to see it in its finished form with HDR pass-through and improved tone-mapping, some configurables and an OSD for monitoring/debugging.

Thank you ! Great to hear that it's usable with both MadVR and JRVR, but concerning that there is stuttering with both.

The 4750G is Zen 2-based, though, while the 5000 series are Zen 3. So, the results may not directly apply. One would hope that the 5000 series is better, but this is not necessarily the case. I just don't want to be the very first to try it with MC before buying one.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 08:24:50 am »

I'm using a 5600G and it has handled everything I've thrown at it using the Fast Bicubic upscaler. 95% of content works with Jinc except high-bitrate 10-bit media, presumably due to the additional tonemapping.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 01:53:32 pm »

I'm using a 5600G and it has handled everything I've thrown at it using the Fast Bicubic upscaler. 95% of content works with Jinc except high-bitrate 10-bit media, presumably due to the additional tonemapping.

Thanks for the response.

Fast bicubic is new for JRVR, right ? How well does MadVR work on your 5600G ?

By high-bitrate 10-bit media, do you mean something like 4K HDR blu-ray ? My favorite movie of all time, 2001 Space Odyssey, hits between 68 - 91 Mbps. At least that's the range I saw reported by MC28 when just playing it for a few seconds :)

This disc, and others, is definitely something I want to be able to play, and it's the reason for my post. The 6-year old GTX 960 in the desktop on which I'm typing, and the GTX 1050 Ti in each of my two HTPCs, all handle these high-bitrate discs just fine. Even the GT 1030 that were in the HTPCs before that worked fine, at least at Red October standard settings with MadVR. I think even Red October HQ worked with the right settings on the GT 1030.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 11:52:10 am »

Thanks for the response.

Fast bicubic is new for JRVR, right ? How well does MadVR work on your 5600G ?

By high-bitrate 10-bit media, do you mean something like 4K HDR blu-ray ? My favorite movie of all time, 2001 Space Odyssey, hits between 68 - 91 Mbps. At least that's the range I saw reported by MC28 when just playing it for a few seconds :)

This disc, and others, is definitely something I want to be able to play, and it's the reason for my post. The 6-year old GTX 960 in the desktop on which I'm typing, and the GTX 1050 Ti in each of my two HTPCs, all handle these high-bitrate discs just fine. Even the GT 1030 that were in the HTPCs before that worked fine, at least at Red October standard settings with MadVR. I think even Red October HQ worked with the right settings on the GT 1030.

I just retested on 28.0.80 instead of 28.0.79 on Linux and now I can playback >100Mb/s files with tonemapping and Jinc upscaling.

This is a relatively new rig so I have not tested it on Windows with madVR, only JRVR. radeontop tells me I'm using peaks of 91% of my GPU resources on my highest quality file and dual 4k displays, so I wouldn't bet on AI upscaling or 8K tonemapping, but it's great with tonemapped 4K and Jinc chroma upscaling. Possibly when HDR passthrough works you may be able to disable tonemapping and use a higher quality upscaler when using a good HDR display, who knows. Most of my displays are 8-bit or bad 10-bit so tonemapping is always a part of the performance equation for me or else I have to store legacy source material.

Zen 3 runs so efficiently I think that a passively cooled 5600G or 5700G is a great option for a silent HTPC capable of high-quality upscaling and tonemapping 4K. Mine is actively cooled but it never kicks the fans on when playing back video.

madbrain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 02:11:25 pm »

I just retested on 28.0.80 instead of 28.0.79 on Linux and now I can playback >100Mb/s files with tonemapping and Jinc upscaling.

This is a relatively new rig so I have not tested it on Windows with madVR, only JRVR. radeontop tells me I'm using peaks of 91% of my GPU resources on my highest quality file and dual 4k displays, so I wouldn't bet on AI upscaling or 8K tonemapping, but it's great with tonemapped 4K and Jinc chroma upscaling. Possibly when HDR passthrough works you may be able to disable tonemapping and use a higher quality upscaler when using a good HDR display, who knows. Most of my displays are 8-bit or bad 10-bit so tonemapping is always a part of the performance equation for me or else I have to store legacy source material.

Zen 3 runs so efficiently I think that a passively cooled 5600G or 5700G is a great option for a silent HTPC capable of high-quality upscaling and tonemapping 4K. Mine is actively cooled but it never kicks the fans on when playing back video.

Thanks. If you do test it on Windows, please let me know, as I'm using Windows on my HTPC. I would love to hear the results. As a data point, I installed a 4650G in my mother's machine it France - 11-year upgrade. It couldn't keep up with 4K movies in Plex. It could very well have been a Plex issue. I didn't get a chance to try 4K with MediaCenter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up