INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a pre-built, fanless, 4k HDR capable HTPC  (Read 3179 times)

loper

• Recent member
Looking for a pre-built, fanless, 4k HDR capable HTPC
« on: October 28, 2021, 03:34:57 pm »

Looking for some recommended system builders that can build a Windows based, 4k HDR capable, fanless PC to be used primarily as an HTPC running JRiver.  We have an older HTPC now and I want to eliminate the fan noise.

-loper

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Looking for a pre-built, fanless, 4k HDR capable HTPC
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 11:35:54 pm »

You haven't mentioned your budget? I now have two fanless systems from QuietPC.

https://www.quietpc.com/sys-sentinel-fanless-10

Cheaper, and more expensive, options are available. :)

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 12:51:58 pm »

Looking for some recommended system builders that can build a Windows based, 4k HDR capable, fanless PC to be used primarily as an HTPC running JRiver.  We have an older HTPC now and I want to eliminate the fan noise.

-loper

I've had great luck with products from "www.onlogic.com"

loper

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 07:06:12 pm »

You haven't mentioned your budget? I now have two fanless systems from QuietPC.

https://www.quietpc.com/sys-sentinel-fanless-10

Cheaper, and more expensive, options are available. :)

Budget up to $2000 USD.

I like the size/price of the linked system, but I don't see any mention of HDR capability.   Do you happen to know if it supports HDR?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 11:33:48 pm »

My knowledge regarding these things is extremely limited, but, I think so, if you use the right hardware. There are users (currently quite active in the "JRVR testing" thread) who are extremely well versed in all of the intricacies surrounding this subject.

I chose the i5-11400 processor. The system is connected to a four or five year old LG TV via HDMI, using an HDMI 2.0 cable, and is running Intel UHD graphics 730. It's all at pretty much default settings as my ignorance means tinkering will almost certainly go horribly wrong and it all looks, well, "wow".

The TV shows an "HDR" flag in the top right corner when the system boots, if that's any help :) Apologies for being so vague.

They have this advice in their product information:
HDMI Version - This is self explanatory, an 11th Gen CPU supports HDMI 2.0 which provides resolutions up to 4096 x 2304 @ 60Hz. A 10th Gen processor supports HDMI 1.4 which provides resolutions up to 4096 x 2304 @ 30Hz. The DisplayPort resolution is not affect by the CPU. Therefore if you 100% need a 60Hz 4K resolution from the motherboard then the best choice would be an 11th Gen CPU.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 01:08:06 am »

If you can wait a week there should be more details on the new Intel 12th Gen CPUs which will have a much improved iGPU.  If not, you may want to consider the i5-11600 option as it has the 750 vs the 730 iGPU for a little bit of extra grunt.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-UHD-Graphics-750-vs-Intel-UHD-Graphics-730/m1498842vsm1500304

FWIW, my NUC8 has a 655 iGPU and while it will work with JRVR's HDR Tone Mapping for UHD BD and the "normal" 23.976fps, it is not fast enough for 50/60fps HDR UHD content.  We also don't yet know (but it's coming soon) how HDR Passthrough in JRVR will go on these iGPUs (but I suspect it will be OK).  In general, these iGPUs can be made to work for most content, most of the time.... but are always limited by how much they are realistically able to do.
JRiver CEO Elect

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 08:28:45 am »

loper

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 10:30:20 am »

I decided to give one of these a try.  It arrives on Wednesday but will take through the weekend to get it setup, configured, tested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KRTM15X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pages: [1]   Go Up