INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out of the blue .. "Playback could not be started on the selected audio output"  (Read 481 times)

pepar

• World Citizen

I purpose built a m-ITX with 10th Gen Intel and a high-400-series chipset to be a client in my home theater. New Win 10 install, some basic program and the latest MC 28. I had it working beautifully - hardware accelerated video decoding, bitstreaming audio to my pre/pro that decodes all audio codecs. Watched a movie and went to watch a TV series episode. Further context: Intel UHD Graphics and Display Audio over HDMI to the pre/pro.

Poof, "Playback could not be started on the selected audio output". I thought it somehow might be MKVs. (The movie was an M2TS.) That wasn't it. Drivers? Installed ASIO and it had the same problem. Uninstalled them. Searched and found something "out there" on Intel Display Audio breaking after a Windows 10 update. Seemed plausible, so I followed the instructions to uninstall the device and then install the latest Intel graphics driver with the Display Audio driver.

Nada. I am stuck. Suggestions?

Jeff
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.

Try mapping the drive the MT2S is on from the client.

pepar

• World Citizen

It is mapped.

More context: I get the error regardless of the movie/episode file format and regardless of the audio codec. The Intel Display Audio device tests perfectly in the Windows Sound utility .. all 7.1 channels. So the HDMI connection is OK.

Beyond all that, Windows Media Player plays all files. It doesn't bitstream to the pre/pro, but the PCM channels are all there.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Just to be sure, go into the options, and audio. Make sure you have the Intel audio selected as the device for your HDMI audio zone. Sometimes this gets changed by MC if the HDMI device is turned off while MC is operational.

@Matt: Maybe the error message could include the active zone and the actual device identifier to help us diagnose the error faster?

pepar

• World Citizen

Thanks, @fitbrit. I have stepped through and verified settings so many times I have visions of them dancing iin my head. Through searching the MC27 forum I have found https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126815.msg880074.html#msg880074 posted by the suave and urbane @RoderickGI. This got me thinking.

Can anyone tell me what process is used to determine if a playback device can handle a particular codec? Does it happen in Media Center? In Windows? At the HDMI driver level between the source and the playback device?

My pre/pro decodes everything, so where could the miscommunication be occurring?

My next opportunity, I am going to check every setting involving HDMI audio starting at the motherboard UEFI/BIOS level. Finally, I will use @RoderickGI's suggestion to disable/re-enable bitstreaming.

pepar

• World Citizen

I have verified that my PC, Win 10 and Intel HD Audio/Display Audio are working. Windows Media Player BITSTREAMS the audio codecs to my pre/pro. The pre/pro reports it; DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby True Audio, etc. WMA does that whether it is set to Default Audio Device, which is Intel Display Audio, or directly to Intel Display Audio.

When set to bitstream HDMI, MC will not play video files, period. It throws the “Playback could not be started on the selected audio output” message. Here’s new information: If Bitstreaming is TURNED OFF, it will play the video, BUT THERE IS NO SOUND.

The MC audio settings were not changed. It just stopped working. This seems like a bug. I need help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up