INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do I Change the TV standard view Genre settings  (Read 1892 times)

RobertCollins

• nothing more to say...
How Do I Change the TV standard view Genre settings
« on: August 27, 2021, 02:37:53 am »

I am using MC28 on Windows 10, and have the TV program guide setup via MC2XML from schedules direct.  I have been with JRiver MC/MJ for over 18 years and I have thousands of videos and tens of thousands of audio files.  I have my own categories of Genre, which I have honed to my requirements over many years. For search and display, MC is ideal for this.
For TV recordings, I use the TV pre-recording tag facility, but I find that specifying a tag merely adds my preference to any existing tag set by the program guide.  This tends to bulk out the library view.
Also the Genre list in the TV Standard View does not match the genres set by the program guide, making the filter function extremely hit and miss.
I have two questions:
1. How do I force my TV pre-recording tags to replace the existing one set by the program guide?
2. How do I change the genre list in the TV standard view display to match the genres set by the program guide?
Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: How Do I Change the TV standard view Genre settings
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 09:39:38 pm »

I am using MC28 on Windows 10, and have the TV program guide setup via MC2XML from schedules direct.  I have been with JRiver MC/MJ for over 18 years and I have thousands of videos and tens of thousands of audio files.  I have my own categories of Genre, which I have honed to my requirements over many years. For search and display, MC is ideal for this.
For TV recordings, I use the TV pre-recording tag facility, but I find that specifying a tag merely adds my preference to any existing tag set by the program guide.  This tends to bulk out the library view.

1. How do I force my TV pre-recording tags to replace the existing one set by the program guide?

Can you elaborate a bit?  Which tag do you try to set, and how did you specify it?

Also the Genre list in the TV Standard View does not match the genres set by the program guide, making the filter function extremely hit and miss.
I have two questions:
2. How do I change the genre list in the TV standard view display to match the genres set by the program guide?
Thanks

Genre list in Standard TV View is hard-coded.  Maybe you can tell us which ones are missed.  We map keywords from the guide data to a set of "standard" genres.  So it may be the case several different keywords get mapped to the same genre.  For example, "Kids", "Children-special", "Children-talk", "Children-music", "Children's/youth programs", "Pre-school children's programs", "Entertainment programs for 6 to 14", "Entertainment programs for 10 to 16", "Cartoons", "Puppets", all get mapped to the genre of "Children".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RobertCollins

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 01:21:10 am »

Yaoping,
Thank you for your attention to my problem.
The Genres returned by the Schedulesdirect XML file appear inside <category>.... <\category> in the <program>.... <\program> sections.
Example:
   <programme start="20210905090000 +0100" stop="20210905100000 +0100" channel="I1.24322.schedulesdirect.org">
      <title lang="en">The Andrew Marr Show</title>
      <desc lang="en">Andrew Marr is joined by chief of the defence staff General Sir Nick Carter, shadow foreign secretary Lisa Nandy, Hilary Mantel and Ben Miles. The                           newspapers are reviewed by The Atlantic's Helen Lewis and The Daily Telegraph's Lucy Fisher.</desc>
      <credits>
         <director>Chris Cook</director>
         <actor>Nick Carter</actor>
         <actor>Lisa Nandy</actor>
         <actor>Ben Miles</actor>
         <actor>Hilary Mantel</actor>
         <producer>Brian Hollywood</producer>
         <producer>Hannah Wilkinson</producer>
         <presenter>Andrew Marr</presenter>
      </credits>
      <date>20210905</date>
      <category lang="en">Talk</category>
      <category lang="en">Newsmagazine</category>
      <category lang="en">News</category>
      <category lang="en">Interview</category>
      <category lang="en">Public affairs</category>
      <category lang="en">Performing arts</category>
      <episode-num system="dd_progid">EP01259740.0504</episode-num>
      <new />
   </programme>
There are hundreds of single categories in total, so how does MC 'decide' which one to map to?
Is it possible to see, in a program listing view, perhaps a custom view, the genre or genres ascribed to each program item. This would be a great help.
Thanks

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 08:44:59 am »

There are hundreds of single categories in total, so how does MC 'decide' which one to map to?

This is the issue we are dealing with.  There are so many categories we can't use each category as a separate genre.  Furthermore, each show gets multiple categories. 

We programmatically make a map, from a category to a genre.  This is a many-to-one map.  In my earlier example, many categories related to "children" are mapped to the genre of "Children".

On the other hand, if a show is associated with multiple categories, we use the first one we find that we recognize.  In the xmltv example you gave above, the first category we find is "Talk".  Thus this show gets the genre of "Talk Show".  Other categories included, such as "Newsmagazine", "News", "Interview", etc. are ignored as far as genre is concerned (if the first entry were "News", this program would get the genre of "News").

If the first category is something we do not recognize, we use the second one, or the third one, etc.  An example is "Special".  Sometimes a program gets "Special" as its first category.  We don't make a genre of "Special" because it is too vague.  Often the program also gets a category of, for example, "Nature", or "News", etc.  So we use one of those, and put the show in the genre of "Educational" or "News".

Is it possible to see, in a program listing view, perhaps a custom view, the genre or genres ascribed to each program item. This would be a great help.

Yes.  These "categories" are all saved in the field of "Keywords".  TV view does not show Keywords field.  You can display it in one of the Video views which is more flexible.  In Theater View guide, if you select a TV program and click OK/Enter button, you get a screen showing some detailed info about the show, including "Keywords".  In Standard view, the guide does not show keywords and you will need to create a customized view to show them.

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up