INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client / Server MC installation Internet Remote access  (Read 381 times)

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Client / Server MC installation Internet Remote access
« on: September 04, 2021, 08:19:43 am »

Although I have been running MC for several years, I tried to setup some thing new today. I have a new personal laptop that I use for work for note taking etc. and I just installed MC28 on there (client) as well as my main home PC (server). For non PC clients like mobile phone, I use Gizmo. So I successfully opened the library on the server, and on the client machine according to your wiki. Runs fine, all good so far.

Then I opened up a port/entered port forwarding on my firewall/ router so I could run this client MC28 on the laptop logged back into the Home PC server over the internet. IO tested it out using the laptop on my phone as an wireless hot spot, so I know it's getting through and playing ok. Now to the problem;

When I use this laptop Around the house to control what music is pumping to my DLNA enabled Main receiver I'd like to have the client options in Media Network Options, set to "Don't convert Audio" so that I hear full FLAC, or native file. However when I am logging in through the internet from outside using mobile (cell) phone hotpot, I want audio conversion setup to convert audio to audio from the server to be converted to MP3 high bandwidth (instead of flac) to save bandwidth / Money.

Short of manually switching this back and forward, I am trying keep this setting intact on home network with no conversion, but if on public network/mobile converted to save bandwidth. I have tried to do this through zones but this conversion does not seem tied which zone you are in? Anyone one have any ideas to make this not a manual setting that I have to remember to change and potentially costing me/running out of data.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Client / Server MC installation Internet Remote access
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 10:19:54 am »

This is probably in the realm of last resort, i.e. a second instance of MC, at least until there is some intelligent network identification built-in. The portable installation option works well for these kinds of scenarios.

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Client / Server MC installation Internet Remote access
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 08:09:23 pm »

Thanks BryanC,

This is what I am to running, the second instance of MC as a client. I don't want a copy of library files in the client - just want to access my library remotely. You are right with intelligent network function, turning this on or other functions on - if the network is a metered network like Onedrive does would be a good step. Has anyone thought of a work-around to manual update of settings all the time?
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas
Pages: [1]   Go Up