INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images - Places - Best Practice Naming Convention  (Read 408 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Images - Places - Best Practice Naming Convention
« on: September 14, 2021, 11:35:43 am »

Cataloging Images in MC: If you want to give Names for multiple places in a City e.g.

Frankfurt
Frankfurt - EZB
Frankfurt - Opera
Frankfurt - Railway Station

Is that best Practice or how do you do it?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Images - Places - Best Practice Naming Convention
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 12:01:40 pm »

I'm sure others will chime in with better advice, but one option is to nest locations using the backslash character.

For example:

Frankfurt
Frankfurt\EZB
Frankfurt\Opera
Frankfurt\Railway Station

Using that allows MC to navigate them. In the tree and views you would end up with Frankfurt, and then when you open that up you'd see EZB, Opera, and Railway Station.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 12:12:28 pm »

I'd probably add a second field here to contain the place, but it really depends on what you want to do.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 12:34:05 pm »

I'm sure others will chime in with better advice, but one option is to nest locations using the backslash character.

For example:

Frankfurt
Frankfurt\EZB
Frankfurt\Opera
Frankfurt\Railway Station

Using that allows MC to navigate them. In the tree and views you would end up with Frankfurt, and then when you open that up you'd see EZB, Opera, and Railway Station.
This is where I start from with those.

raldo

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 02:01:56 am »

I'd try to keep tagging compatible with the EXIF tags related to position. See the WIKI for some details.

Then you'll be able to combine your manual tagging with EXIF tags generated by an external utility such as Geosetter or Lightroom.

When importing image tags, MC populates the Places tag with the format CITY, STATE, COUNTRY.

So, for your manual work in MC, tag Places according to the following format: CITY, STATE, COUNTRY.

I don't remember the name just now but there is a fourth tag in exif, sublocation. Usually, this EXIF tag is populated with street name/adress but I have seen other location types. Use this to for Opera/Railway, etc. you may have to make a library field

Then you can make a calculated field for display which replaces the commas in the MC Places tag with slashes and adds sublocation.

Your view scheme would then be able to support both your manual tags and tags generated by external apps.

(There have been requests in the past to expose CITY, STATE, COUNTRY, SUBLOCATION as MC fields, btw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up