INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Managing a Comics Collection with JRiver  (Read 651 times)

Marc9BR

• Recent member
Managing a Comics Collection with JRiver
« on: September 14, 2021, 07:54:03 am »

Hi there.

I know this must be a feature that few people use, but since version 26 (which introduced this feature) I've been trying to use JRiver to manage my comics collection.

In general, its been a very good experience, since JRiver is a great tagger.

The only point that still keeps me from adopting it for managing my whole Comics Collection is the automatic thumbnail generation feature.

The problem is that not all thumbnails are generated for my cbr an cbz files. Actually, JRiver only generates thumbnails for about half of the files.

I've tried to understand what kind of pattern might be stoping it from generating thumbnails for some files, but can't really figure out what might be happening, since all files are plain cbr (rar files) and cbz (zip files), with just normal jpeg images inside. There's no difference, that I can tell, between files with thumbnails generated automatically by JRiver and files where JRiver doesn't generate the thumbnails.

As an aditional feature, it would be great if JRiver also generated pdf thumbnails as many comics are still in this format nowadays.

The following attachment is a good picture of the situation. All of the files are just standard .cbr files, although only 2 thumbnails were generated.

Is there any hope for a correction for this ?

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Managing a Comics Collection with JRiver
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 08:03:39 am »

Could you mail me one file that works and one that doesn't?  I'm matt at jriver.  Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 12:09:00 pm »

I've run into this as well and IIRC I discovered it had something to do with the zip/rar file itself. Try extracting all the files and creating a new zip and see if that helps? If so, I was able to use Comicrack to re-write the affected files in bulk and then thumbnails worked again. Any zip utility should work to extract the files and create a new zip/rar from, but Comicrack is like MC for comics (at least it used to be) so it can do the job a lot faster if that turns out to be the issue for you as well.

Marc9BR

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 06:05:17 pm »

Hey Matt.

I've just sent you 4 files by email.

2 files have thumbnail problems and 2 files where thumbnails are generated correctly.

Hope this helps correcting the issue.

Thanks !

Marc9BR

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 06:07:22 pm »

Hey Doof.

You're right about something in the files preventing JRiver from generating thumbnails.

If I open them with Winrar and zip them again with another name, JRiver reads them correctly.

I can open all files with Comicrack normally.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 06:20:26 pm »

Thanks for the files.  I can see that we're not able to open the ZIP for a couple of the files, but I'm not sure why.  They open with the ZIP tools on my computer otherwise, so I'm not sure.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 04:25:08 am »

Thanks for the files.  I can see that we're not able to open the ZIP for a couple of the files, but I'm not sure why.  They open with the ZIP tools on my computer otherwise, so I'm not sure.

Probably the compression type. Might also be a malformed ZIP, seen some of those.

Zip64 maybe? (really depends on what created the files originally as to the defaults it set)
Might also be a plain XZ zip file, but I'd imagine your code ought to handle that.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 04:31:18 am »

Its a RAR file using a feature our RAR reader doesn't support. Not much we can do about that right now. RAR is a bit of a peculiar format and support in comprehensive decompression libraries is not always 100%.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up