INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LG TV Settings Problem with madVR  (Read 522 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
LG TV Settings Problem with madVR
« on: September 15, 2021, 10:22:52 pm »

After I bought a new LG C1 OLED TV a few weeks ago, I noticed that when madvr is enabled, LG locks out most of the advanced picture settings like motion interpolation and BFI. My previous LB B7 never had this issues with the same version of madvr. Apparently LG is deciding, now, that madvr is taking control and so won't allow the TV to do anything other than serve as a basic monitor. Lots of people have complained about this issue on various forums.

When using ROHQ Standard, all of the LG settings are available again. But of course HDR doesn't work without madvr.  Why is my Apple TV 4k any different than a Windows PC in terms of playback of video as far as LG is concerned?

I'm hoping JRVR can figure this out one day!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: LG TV Settings Problem with madVR
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 12:31:19 am »

Thats normal behavior when you activate HDR Cinema mode or such that many settings become unavailable. Software on a PC has no influence on your TVs behavior, they are far too many steps separated. :)
The only thing any software can do is send video in any given format, and if that format is HDR, its going to change the TVs behavior.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 12:34:28 am »

After I bought a new LG C1 OLED TV a few weeks ago, I noticed that when madvr is enabled, LG locks out most of the advanced picture settings like motion interpolation and BFI. My previous LB B7 never had this issues with the same version of madvr. Apparently LG is deciding, now, that madvr is taking control and so won't allow the TV to do anything other than serve as a basic monitor. Lots of people have complained about this issue on various forums.

When using ROHQ Standard, all of the LG settings are available again. But of course HDR doesn't work without madvr.  Why is my Apple TV 4k any different than a Windows PC in terms of playback of video as far as LG is concerned?

I'm hoping JRVR can figure this out one day!

You might be putting connection of PC on hdmi that is set on "game" mode ... in that case TV disables all picture  processing to reduce latency

Try putting HDMI port your PC is connected to different mode.
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 09:08:28 am »

You might be putting connection of PC on hdmi that is set on "game" mode ... in that case TV disables all picture  processing to reduce latency

Try putting HDMI port your PC is connected to different mode.

Tried everything. Called LG support. They are ignorant of the issue. The only thing that fixes it is to disable madvr. Many people have this issue with the latest lg TVs.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 08:38:23 pm »

You could try looking through this thread on the Doom9 forum:
MadVR in use with LG OLED Thread https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176215

It is mostly esoteric (to me at least) gamut, 3dlut and tone mapping stuff but you may find something that helps there, they all seem to know more about their LG TVs and madVR than most people, I have picked up some useful tips that improved things on my madVR/LG B7 OLED setup.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 09:07:56 pm »

Another possible scenario is that your MadVR outputs at 60fps (press ctr+j to see what madVR is doing) ... in that scenario options like TrueMotion is meaningless
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 01:49:05 pm »

I've looked through that thread previously, and there is someone who posted about it as well.  https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1891267#post1891267 Unfortunately their trick does not work. The settings are still not applied. Other threads like in AV forums complain about this as well.

It happens whether I am outputting to 60fps or 24fps. It's not just the true motion settings. Other things like tone mapping are gone as well.

When switching back to ROHQ standard or if I use my Apple TV 4k, all of the settings come back. My hope is that the new JRiver Video Render will somehow prevent these settings from being grayed out on the LG like MadVr does. Not that it would be JRiver's fault or responsibility to fix this, but something in MadVR is telling the LG that it needs to lock out those settings. I've tried switching most settings in MadVR on an off and nothing helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up