INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidecar files for Movies  (Read 3451 times)

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sidecar files for Movies
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2021, 02:11:53 pm »

Reading about strange problems you've been having and hearing that your old library doesn't have anything you'd particularly miss I would definitely just create new fresh library

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2021, 04:13:41 pm »

Saving your Smartlists is easy, just go in and use the Import/Export to save the Smartlist to a text file. It is similar to how I specified the 'Remove files' Smartlist to you in an earlier post.
If you have any DSP settings they can also be saved to file in MC28.
As a compromise why not export your main library as XML, that way you keep any tag metadata which you can copy/paste to a new library without ever having load the hateful library ever again. Just view the xml in a suitable editor like Notepad++.
Of course if your existing sidecar tags are good then all the metadata should be imported to a new library anyway but I always feel there is no harm in having an extra backup.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

macdonjh

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2021, 06:02:20 pm »

90% success.

I uninstalled MC28.
I reinstalled MC28.
I restored my license for MC28.
I created a new Library on my local hard drive (that way I could leave the default Main Library alone).
I imported a single Movie.  I imported a single Series.  I imported a single Album.  All those worked.
I imported my Series folder (all my TV shows).  I Imported my Movies folder.  I Imported my Music folder.  All those worked, mostly.

Still some weirdness.

I lost my [Episode] ratings for a couple of [Series].  Also, in the Tree, when I expand [Series], each series is missing the "sub-folder" for each season.  I used to have that.  The [Season] and [Episode] Tags are intact, so I am hopeful MC28 will build those subdivisions in the Tree while I'm not looking.  But TV Cover Art displays correctly now!

I lost two Movies, but that happened several days ago.  Also, not all Cover Art displays properly despite being fixed over the past couple of days.  Very strange.  I have experimented and Get TV & Movie Info works properly (no destroying .mkv files!), so I have that to fall back on.

Thank goodness all my ratings for my songs appear to have come through.  Also, even though the one (Multiple Artist) Album I imported "singly" didn't import properly, when I Imported the entire Music folder, all of my (Multiple Artist) albums appear to have imported properly.  Only one "entry" in the Tree -> Audio -> Albums view, as it should be.  I also found four Albums I thought failed to Import before I started all this.  Turns out the tagging is abysmal and they ended up in Unknown.  I didn't see them there.  I started fixing the tags, and am looking forward to the new Clean() functions being worked on.

I need to configure Auto Import.  I need to reread the thread or Wiki article about scheduling Auto Import when MC isn't running.
 At least I think I read you can set that up.  I think I have my default folder structure entered properly.  I have a half-dozen small SmartLists to rebuild.  I may try saving the .xml files to Notepad and cutting and pasting as terry@tassie has suggested.  I've not tried that before.

I also want to try setting up two zones and zone switches.  I think I can use those to route Audio-only files through a USB port and Video files through my HDMI port.

Oh, yeah, I have to repair my USB drives to act as secondary back-ups to my NAS (hopefully correctly performing in RAID 6 configuration).

macdonjh

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2021, 06:02:42 pm »

Thanks, everyone, for all your help.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2021, 07:15:14 pm »

Very good news re: your rebuilt library, just thought I'd save you some time re: Auto-import
MC28 must be running for Auto-import to function.
I think you have probably looked at the Wiki regarding using Task Manager to schedule Auto-Import using the MC28.exe launcher, please note the final sentence in the Wiki 'If MC is running, it will perform the Auto-Import scan. If not, this command is silently ignored.'
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2021, 08:54:13 pm »

Also, in the Tree, when I expand [Series], each series is missing the "sub-folder" for each season.

You must have modified the view, attached is a 'Saved View' that might do what you want or give you some ideas on how to setup your own View

To use download the 'TV Shows.jvi' file attached to this post, then right click in the tree select 'Add Library View', select 'Empty View' Name: TV Shows Location: Video

Right click the new View and select 'Customise View' then scroll down the 'Settings' window and select 'Load a view from file' select the file 'TV Shows.jvi' and OK out of the dialogue.

macdonjh

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2021, 08:33:43 pm »

Very good news re: your rebuilt library, just thought I'd save you some time re: Auto-import
MC28 must be running for Auto-import to function.
I think you have probably looked at the Wiki regarding using Task Manager to schedule Auto-Import using the MC28.exe launcher, please note the final sentence in the Wiki 'If MC is running, it will perform the Auto-Import scan. If not, this command is silently ignored.'

Exactly that...

macdonjh

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2021, 08:34:50 pm »

You must have modified the view, attached is a 'Saved View' that might do what you want or give you some ideas on how to setup your own View

To use download the 'TV Shows.jvi' file attached to this post, then right click in the tree select 'Add Library View', select 'Empty View' Name: TV Shows Location: Video

Right click the new View and select 'Customise View' then scroll down the 'Settings' window and select 'Load a view from file' select the file 'TV Shows.jvi' and OK out of the dialogue.

If I did, I must have done it in my sleep :)  Thanks for the .jvi file...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up