INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General control capability question - Home Automation  (Read 1297 times)

iPanini

• Recent member
General control capability question - Home Automation
« on: October 24, 2021, 09:59:59 am »

Hi,
Let me explain a bit first:
- I have been using JRiver in the past, but due to being abroad for work etc. have in fact forgotten a lot about it and I am in the process of picking up the thread again anno 2021.
- For those familiar, I have been running LinuxMCE in the past and was in fact very pleased with it's capabilities overall. LinuxMCE is still available but the project has nearly died for me, there is a fork that has little merrit to me, so I think we can scratch those.

I believe, from what I have read that JRiver is actually capable of doing more or less similar tasks.

What I am mainly researching now is what are the options in the field of Home Automation / Domotics.
I've read a little about Engen and z-wave. Honestly speaking I would rather avoid diving into z-wave, reason being that I have KNX (bus system for home automation) running through my house. (With KNX I can fully control my AV-Receiver lighting and more) (What is KNX?)

So the question really boils down to:
- what other automation routes exist within JRiver?
- what are thoughts on related home automation applications like Domoticz, OpenHab, even Apple Homekit, Kodi?
- Are there ways to send commands over TCP/IP? (Like play / pause / stop or select what to play, up/down/left/right etc)

My immediate goals:
- depending on zones, power on TV and switch to selected source, power on AV-Receiver and switch to selected source + control volume
- use a Raspberry as a "small" zone audio system (with or without monitor connected)

Thanks for tuning in and helping out!

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: General control capability question - Home Automation
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 11:06:12 am »

- what other automation routes exist within JRiver?
see https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DevZone

you may find that page a bit windows specific except for MCWS

- Are there ways to send commands over TCP/IP? (Like play / pause / stop or select what to play, up/down/left/right etc)
MCWS, see https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Web_Service_Interface for details

iPanini

• Recent member
Re: General control capability question - Home Automation
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 12:43:53 pm »

Thanks a ton!
A lot of reading to get going..

Any pointers of preference? Meaning prefer Windows / Mac / Linux?

(I operate all 3, mostly Mac though, at the moment I have JRiver installed on my 2013 Mac Pro, Denon AV-Receiver connected using HDMI.

What I don't like about this, is I would prefer to be able to dedicate a specific HDMI port as AUDIO only: reason being that the AV-Receiver is connected as an extra "Monitor" which makes my screens go switching and such)
Pages: [1]   Go Up