INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curiosity question about restoring a library on a different computer  (Read 557 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe

I installed MC on a different computer.  I copied the Library I use on my main media computer and saved it in an appropriate folder on the "different computer".  I then restored that Library.

When I tried playing music using my "different computer", nothing would play.  I got the "something went wrong with playback".  When I looked at various files, I saw lots of "European stop sign" symbols.  After lots of mucking around I finally tried Import.  I now have access to 1/2 or 2/3 of my files.

I have two questions:
   - Do you have to Import every time you Restore a Library?  Or, are there some instances when you have to Import and some times when you don't?
   - Can anyone think of an MC-related reason I can't see all the files in my media folders?  I don't think my problem stems from MC, I think it's Windows/ NAS/ etc., but if there's something else I can check, I'd like to hear about it.

macdonjh

Re: Curiosity question about restoring a library on a different computer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 08:45:27 pm »

Update: we installed MC28 on my son's computer, got a Library copied over and Restored, and completed Import.  His computer can "see" all of our media files. 

My "other" computer and NAS aren't communicating properly, so I think my troubles are there.  Off to contact tech support at the NAS company.

One theory: MC28 is looking for media files in S:\Multimedia\[sub folders], but on my "other" computer I haven't been able to map my NAS, so it should be looking in NAS487AA4\Multimedia\[sub folders].  But why MC28 would find some files, but not others is still beyond me.

rec head

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 06:59:16 am »

When moving the library from one computer to a new one everything should work IF the drive letters where the media is stored is the same. If the drive letters are the same then you can backup the library on the old computer and copy it and restore it on the new computer. No need to re-import.

You can also use MC's Media Sharing feature and only have the library on one computer but access it anywhere.

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 05:04:41 pm »

Thanks, rec head. 

I didn't think about the Sharing feature.  I did think about drives being mapped differently between my two computers.  I think I'll hold off redoing anything until I get the minor mess with my NAS sorted out.  Then I can map it on my second computer in the same way I have it mapped on my media computer and then MC should be able to find everything.

rec head

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 05:28:44 pm »

Sharing is usually the easiest and most versatile.

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 09:30:21 pm »

Update, NAS tech support was able to help me get my NAS mapped as a network drive.  Now it's mapped the same way on both of my computers.  When that didn't fix the "missing" files on my "other" computer, I reimported my Library after "repointing" it to the newly mapped network drive.  Now it can see all my media files.

That problem is fixed.

Now I can try shared Libraries...
Pages: [1]   Go Up