INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDCD Questions  (Read 960 times)

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
HDCD Questions
« on: October 17, 2021, 04:57:44 am »

This is not a big concern at all.  CDs are pretty much dead now, and HDCD is a small fraction of my library.  I had a small number of HDCD tracks under MC27 (or whichever version introduced this feature). With MC28 after analysis (I read to re-do analysis), they are all gone now.  None are detected as HDCD.  I have CDs that clearly state HDCD on the CD cover (such as Joni Mitchell CDs).  Why would HDCD status be gone now after a second analysis?  I did search for this, and my options are set correctly.

Play HDCD if possible is checked off under Audio Advanced
Analyze for HDCD is checked off under Library & Folders

I had about five CDs that were lossless rips indicated as HDCD until I re-ran analysis with the latest stable MC28: 28.0.76

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: HDCD Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 11:30:42 am »

HDCD has three elements going on that can be encoded and decoded.
HDCD uses the dither bits to encode that data.

The first element is Peak Extend
This is a reversible soft limiter. When encoded it adds some peak limiting like compression. When decoded it reverses that limiting and recovers the original dynamic range.

The second is low level gain
This adjusts the gain for very low level signals (very quiet parts of the music). Allows for smoother and more resolving fade-outs and reverb tails. Undecoded the fade-outs will have a slight stairstep in volume changes. HDCD decoding will smooth that out back to a smooth and resolving fade-out.

The third is a transient filter
The AD converter used to make HDCD recordings had an optional second filter that could be applied when recording transient sounds (like drum hits). This feature just lets you know that the AD converter used the optional transient filter during the recording process. Nice to know. But can't be recovered during playback.

All three elements are optional. They can be used or not used during the recording and mastering process to make an HDCD.

If an HDCD file has peak extend then that can be decoded to recover the full dynamic range.

If an HDCD has low level gain adjustment then that can be decoded to recover the full fade-outs and low level signal.

If an HDCD doesn't have peak extend or low-level gain then there is nothing useful to be decoded. The undecoded playback and decoded playback should sound the same.

Some HDCD titles used peak extend or gain. Some used neither. The ones that didn't use either peak extend or gain don't need to be decoded.

MC takes the approach to identify HDCD files only if they would benefit from decoding. So only if that file uses peak extend or low-level gain. If a HDCD file doesn't use peak extend or low-level gain then MC doesn't identify it as HDCD.

So you can have HDCD discs that MC won't identify as HDCD because those discs didn't use peak extend or low-level gain. Those discs are still 100% valid HDCD, but there is no benefit in doing software decoding for them during playback.

If I recall correctly, the first versions of MC that detected HDCD would flag all HDCD files even if they didn't use peak extend or low-level gain. Then sometime later the process was changed to only identify HDCD files that have peak extend or low-level gain. If you analyzed your library with one of the older versions of MC you could have some files identified as HDCD that the current versions of MC will not identify as HDCD.

I hope that makes sense. Explaining HDCD and decoding turns into a longer explanation than expected.

The Goodwin's High End web site has a library of info about HDCD. It's a good resource if you want to dig deeper into what HDCD is, or just want to understand it more.
https://www.goodwinshighend.com/library-2/hdcd-overview-library/

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 04:24:10 am »

After the latest update, my HDCD lossless files are again showing as HDCD after re-analysis.

It was a bug that was fixed, obviously.

Now I have to re-analyze my entire library all over again...

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 04:32:26 am »

After the latest update, my HDCD lossless files are again showing as HDCD after re-analysis.

It was a bug that was fixed, obviously.

Now I have to re-analyze my entire library all over again...

Or you can restore from a library backup from before this happened.

Then select all files and do a "Tools >> Library Tools >> Update Tags (from library)"

That will reset your library back to when things were good and update all the tags to match what your library was back then. Without needing to take the time to reanalyze all of the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up