INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing a field to Relational  (Read 450 times)

mvandyke

• World Citizen
Changing a field to Relational
« on: November 18, 2021, 09:31:14 am »

I have a variety of fields that I would like to change to Relational so that my large DB is consistent to the artist (Store one value for each artist)  This includes many custom fields (gender, country, Artist Born date, etc).  These fields already have data in them but I would like the data consistent per artist (not every song has gender set to female for example).

I created a test and changed a field to Relational but the data was not updated.  Is there a step that I'm missing?

Also if there is potential conflict say on Country where 98% of the data is defined as US and a couple defined at British - is there logic built in to compare and define which one would take precidence?

Thanks
Matt

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Changing a field to Relational
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 04:25:46 pm »

If you change a field to Relational after it has been previously populated you need to enter new data into that field for it to update.
For example I have a custom field which is non relational 'My custom Country' and I have set that field for Fleetwood Mac's album 'Kiln House' as 'UK' but have set that field for Fleetwood Mac's album 'Rumours' as 'USA'.
If I then change 'My custom Country' field to be relational (store one value per Artist) nothing will change until I set at least one file field as something new. So if I set 'Rumours' track 'The Chain' to 'UK/USA' then ALL Fleetwood Mac tracks for ALL albums will now be 'UK/USA'.

I am afraid I don't understand your second question re: precidence.

EDIT: I strongly advise to make sure you have taken a Library backup before changing fields to 'Relational' as it can make very 'global' changes to your tags.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

mvandyke

• World Citizen
Re: Changing a field to Relational
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 04:45:37 pm »

Thanks, I tested your explanation and it was 100% correct.

I was expecting to modify existing data without any changes and that's not how it works.  The field really only becomes Relational once new data is entered.

Thanks for your expertise!

Matt

Pages: [1]   Go Up