INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is/would it be it possible to output 2 sub channels from MC (over HDMI)  (Read 718 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe

HDMI supposedly support 32 channels, but can you output 2 subs via MC? Is there anything that actually handles getting two sub channels over HDMI?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
Re: Is/would it be it possible to output 2 sub channels from MC (over HDMI)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 12:01:01 pm »

HDMI supposedly support 32 channels, but can you output 2 subs via MC?
Yes.
Is there anything that actually handles getting two sub channels over HDMI?
Any multichannel AVR or prepro.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 01:52:59 pm »

Yes.Any multichannel AVR or prepro.

Interesting, do you know how? There doesn't seem to be a two-subwoofer option in the DSP and output? I am not so sure any multichannel AVR will handle it though, many have only one sub output, and many of those with two often aren't independent.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 04:32:04 pm »

Sorry for being too glib.  There is no  obvious easy answer.
Interesting, do you know how? There doesn't seem to be a two-subwoofer option in the DSP and output?
You can create additional channels/subs and route bass to them in Parametric Equalizers under MC DSP.  On one of my systems, I do that for three independent sub channels and feed the output to a 8channel DAC via USB, not via HDMI.  However, I am expecting an AudioPraise Vanity/Pro (any day now). This gadget will accept HDMI and output (via multiple S/PDIF or multiple AES/EBU) to a multichannel DAC or to multiple stereo DACs.
I am not so sure any multichannel AVR will handle it though, many have only one sub output, and many of those with two often aren't independent.
You are correct about that with a few exceptions.  For example the Trinnov prepros will permit you to remap the input channels to any output channels and redefine them. 

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up