INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LFE Gain for PCM Signal Q?  (Read 480 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
LFE Gain for PCM Signal Q?
« on: November 28, 2021, 10:38:12 pm »

I use PCM for JRiver with my McIntosh MX160 in my home theatre. My MX160 is defaulted with a 10db gain to the LFE when using PCM, is JRiver adding any gain somewhere in the software for PCM users? Ive looked in there but cant find anything under audio. I believe +10db is always added to the LFE channel for playing mkv movies when one is using PCM, is this correct?

If JR is adding 10db to the LFE channel I will set mine to OFF, there is either off or 10db in the dropdown menu.

stewart_pk

Re: LFE Gain for PCM Signal Q?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 11:14:03 pm »

I'm pretty sure the answer is NO and that's how I've always treated it.
I think there might be an exception if you let JRiver down-mix to stereo.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 02:59:51 am »

best answer = measure this yourself in room using a test signal to see what your equipment actually does

in the absence of that, it's helpful to post your own DSP Studio settings when asking Qs about the processing applied however I don't think MC ever automatically adds 10dB to the LFE so adding it in your processor is likely the right thing to do

some detail to support this in https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Room_Correction#Bass_Management_In_Action

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 03:25:38 am »

MC will apply the 10dB LFE gain when its downmixing the LFE into the main channels. But if it's output as is, it will not, as it's expected that downstream hardware is going to do that - eg. an AVR, and we don't want to overdrive the LFE.

In general, recommend what mattkhan says, just measure the levels and set them up to be correct based on that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up