INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dirac - J River - DSD - 24 bit  (Read 563 times)

Bigpoppapump

• Recent member
Dirac - J River - DSD - 24 bit
« on: December 02, 2021, 08:47:30 am »

I have a Bryston DAC BDA-3 and use a SilenZio computer as my source. I have recently installed Dirac and I am using the Dirac Live Processor rather than J River managed plug ins (DSP Studio) . Dirac support thought it was easer to get Dirac up and running with their Live Processor and I was struggling with the DSP Plug In. The  result is flac files play fine in Dirac. But DSD and 24 bit require me to go change the audio set up from Dirac to the Bryston Dac USB Asio set up. Obviously, I am missing something according to Dirac but they are unsure of how to correct this and suggest asking the J River community for assistance. I have looked at the wiki instructions starting with DSD over PCM (DoP) but am doubtful I fully understand the jargon and theory and afraid if I put my ignorant screwdriver in the settings I may blow everything out of the water! Hoping someone can rescue this and give me some instructions

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Dirac - J River - DSD - 24 bit
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 09:54:13 am »

I am pretty sure Dirac will only work on DSD if you convert it to PCM. One of the problems with DSD is that typical DSP programs do not work with it. The DSD data has to be sent exactly as it is to the DAC for the DAC to play it as DSD.

DoP is just another way to pack DSD for transmission. You still cannot use DSPs on it.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Dirac - J River - DSD - 24 bit
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 04:27:26 pm »

In addition to dtc's comment, the maximum rate Dirac will process is 192khz, so any rate above that needs to be configured properly (this is for DSP plugin).

Edit: With standalone, I kind of remember trying dirac's virtual sound card, and there was some kind of issue that nothing above 96khz worked with JRiver.
This was early on in Dirac development, or it could have been something off in my configuration.  Only mentioning just in case. 

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h
Pages: [1]   Go Up