INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging Issue with MKV Files  (Read 662 times)

doubrown

• Junior Woodchuck
Tagging Issue with MKV Files
« on: January 05, 2022, 01:33:58 pm »

I've had this issue for many years, and it keeps reappearing...

Some MKV files have incorrect tags, so I update the tags and all is well. For some of these files, when I view them from other applications like Windows Media Center or VLC, the tags are still as they were prior to updating through MC. They are correct when viewed from MC. The strange part is that eventually, the tags revert back to their original, non-updated, values in MC. I can force this to happen by deleting the folder from the Library and re-adding it, forcing a re-import.

I suspected the root cause may be that MC is saving the updated tags to a sidecar rather than the files themselves. In Options->General->Importing & Tagging: "Update tags when file info changes" is checked, "Sidecar tagging mode" is "Save in both sidecar and internal tags (if supported)". I see sidecar jpg files for these files, but no sidecar XML files, leading me to believe that the tags are not being saved to sidecar.

Could this have something to do with read/write permissions for the files? All of the files are stored in shared folders on a QNAP NAS.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging Issue with MKV Files
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 02:26:03 pm »

We don't support writing tags to video files in general, so while you can change them in the MC database, it won't be reflected in the actual file tags.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Tagging Issue with MKV Files
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 04:43:46 pm »

doubrown, here is a thread that explains how to keep tags in a variety of scenarios. You may have to skip part way through to get to the relevant stuff.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,127743.msg887152.html#msg887152

MC will read the tags in MKVs but not write them. You can make sure sidecar files are up to date by using 'update tags from library'. I think MC typically updates sidecars automatically, but there are times when it fails.

The only time I have had fields revert to the embedded ones is when re-importing videos that have sidecars, while using tag on import rules. To fix, I only use rules on the initial import.
Pages: [1]   Go Up