INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC & Airplay on Monterey Mac Mini  (Read 1309 times)

citysoundman

• Recent member
MC & Airplay on Monterey Mac Mini
« on: December 31, 2021, 06:55:11 pm »

Hi All,

I'm looking to install a music server for Hi Res local playback. I'm totally in the Apple ecosystem, so I'm thinking Mac Mini with USB out to a nice DAC/Headphone Amp unit. MC seems like a great app for this.

I'd love to be able to use Airplay on this Mac (as an Airplay destination, which you can do in Monterey) for when I want to play podcasts or web audio or Spotify, wirelessly from my iPhone.

So my question is, will the Mac Mini send both MC audio and Airplay audio out the USB port without any switching? Will both be 'on' and available at all times?

thanks in advance!

citysoundman

• Recent member
Re: MC & Airplay on Monterey Mac Mini
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 11:09:02 am »

I posted this on Apple support and received a reply that a Mac with Airplay support will switch to Airplay automatically as soon as it sees an Airplay signal, so just the same as using an Apple TV. Good news!

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 03:47:24 pm »

Hi,
the problem here is that you cannot use any DSP feature of JRiver if you want to use Airplay.

If you use JRiver as n 1:1 output with no manipulation of the sound then its the same, but if you need some EQ or convolving or somthing then...

@JRiver:
is there a possibility to have an Airplay Input to JRiver like WDM on Windows?

BR
Erich

citysoundman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 08:57:45 pm »

Hi,
the problem here is that you cannot use any DSP feature of JRiver if you want to use Airplay.

Can you explain why? I believe the Mac Mini would work like an Apple TV in that when it gets an Airplay signal it just switches over to it.

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 03:42:28 am »

The Airplay is not an input signal to JRiver. You will play Airplay data parallel to JRiver, so no possibility to manipulate this audio inb JRiver (which would be great for streaming apps on the iPhone if we can...).

citysoundman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 07:29:50 am »

Thank you for the reply. OK so from what you're saying Airplay audio won't send into JRiver, I understand that. That's OK. What I'm asking is if I can use JRiver sending audio to my DAC, then when I send iPhone audio over Airplay (or my wife connects to the Mac with her iPhone) the Mac won't have any problems automatically switching from JRiver>DAC audio to Airplay>DAC audio. I just want it to be a seamless switch so we don't have to worry about changing any settings on the Mac or JRiver.

AGAWA

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 11:14:29 am »

it has nothing to do with JRiver.
MAC OS - Sound has output setup and there you have your DAC as output.
Airplay to MacMini and will play to your output. Currently sending music from Apple Music over Airplay to Mac Mini - output set to headphones  output connected to external speakers (Bose) and music plays.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 01:33:12 pm »

I didn't even know that MacOS could be an AirPlay RECEIVER.  Apparently it's very new.  I'm on the latest version of 11, but this was added in 12.  So I can't test it.

I would expect that it would work, unless you have MC set to exclusive mode on the DAC, in which case it will prevent anything other than MC from sending audio to it.  Exclusive mode is optional and may or may not be the default.  It's easy to turn off.

You (or someone else here) would have to test it.  MC has a free trial for 30 days that's 100% functional.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up