INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED - Can't rip a cd - it says "analyzing optical disk" over and over.  (Read 1406 times)

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck

First post - newbie to JRiver. I am still using the trial. I can see committing, and was about to, but then I thought I'd ty to use it to rip a CD and found I cannot. I have latest version of MC running on a Ubuntu computer serving a library of ripped CDs (by DBpoweramp) and purchased lossless music. I use a Windows 10 PC to connect to it as well as JRemote on my iphone and ipad.

Like I say, all was going well until I tried to rip a CD. I am also trialing dBPoweramp, and need to either buy it or use MC......I want to do the latter....BUT I can't rip on either machine.

When I try to rip a CD on the Windows machine, it just pops up with a window saying "analyzing optical disk" and repeats over and over. I can read and rip the CD in DBPoweramp, and Windows media player just fine.

The Linux machine has a built in DVD writer yet I don't even get any CD Options at all on it. When I go to options, I do not see the "Burning" or " CD, DVD & BD" menus. I also see nothing about ripping or burning in the Action Window. I can play the CD fine on the machine using the built in software (name escapes me)..........I know this is the Windows area, so I will post this bit on the Linux forum as well, but thought I would mention it b/c I find it odd that neither works.......

Is this because I am on a trial? and if not, Any suggestions?

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Can't rip a cd - it says "analyzing optical disk" over and over.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 01:53:29 pm »

I will add that I am using an external DVD/CD writer - I attached a pic of what I see under drives in options\burning

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 02:00:27 pm »

I tried another CD, and it finds the meta data (it does not do that on the other CD).  But after that, it still pops up with the analyzing optical disk window over and over.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 02:59:07 pm »

The trial version is fully featured, so it is not that.

That you are not seeing the Burning/Ripping "menus" (the menus in the Action Window at the bottom of the Tree on the left... correct?) makes me think the features are not enabled.  Though I would think those would be activated by default.  If you have not already looked in Options/General/Features, go there and make sure the highlighted boxes below are checked.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 03:01:06 pm »

Remove any disc from the drive.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 03:04:12 pm »

How's he supposed to rip a disc if he removes it?  Surely I am missing the meaning behind your reply.

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 03:09:03 pm »

Remove any disc from the drive.
I remove it, and the message stops, but when I put it back, I get the message over and over again

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 03:09:16 pm »

Maybe I misunderstood.

It's normal to get that message when a disc is in the drive.

If it never finishes, then the disc may not be readable.

I don't think the Linux version has any CD ripping or burning working.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 03:13:10 pm »

But he says he gets the same error on his Windows machine.
When I try to rip a CD on the Windows machine, it just pops up with a window saying "analyzing optical disk" and repeats over and over. I can read and rip the CD in DBPoweramp, and Windows media player just fine.

I am betting he just needs to activate those settings I mentioned, though it is weird they would be disabled on a brand new trial install.

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 03:19:46 pm »

Maybe I misunderstood.

It's normal to get that message when a disc is in the drive.

If it never finishes, then the disc may not be readable.

I don't think the Linux version has any CD ripping or burning working.

Ah, ok - so no burn in Linux (disappointing, but I can live with it - maybe one day"

as for the Windows machine: here's what I get - I've tried 3 cds......
maybe my usb drive and JRiver don't play well together - but it works on every other program...anything settings I can tweak? (in Windows maybe?)

Thanks for the replies on a Sunday!

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 03:21:30 pm »

I do see this.....so something is working

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 03:22:44 pm »

Can you please confirm whether you checked the settings I so generously provided a screenshot of?  On a Sunday no less ;D

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 03:23:43 pm »

But he says he gets the same error on his Windows machine.
I am betting he just needs to activate those settings I mentioned, though it is weird they would be disabled on a brand new trial install.

thanks, but those setting are on.....

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 03:39:59 pm »

Thanks for confirming... at least we can definitely eliminate that as a variable.  You also mentioned:
I also see nothing about ripping or burning in the Action Window

So you don't see the highlighted items in the pic below?  When I uncheck those features in the options window, those disappear from the Action Window, and that is what made me thing they were unchecked for you as well (and ultimately causing your issue).  If you do the see them in the Action Window right now, you could try the following:

-Go to Options and uncheck both burn/rip options
   -Close MC... and importantly! close MC server too 
   -Restart MC
   -Enable the burn/rip options again.
   -Repeat steps 1 and 2.

I know the above may seem ridiculous, but this ridiculous process has solved a myriad of issues for me over the years.  I am not terribly confident it will work, but it only takes a minute to try. 

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 03:47:44 pm »

apologies for the confusion - I do not see anything about ripping in the action window on my Linux machine.....I do see those option on my windows machine

JimH confirmed that there is no CD capability on Linux.....

I should have kept the windows and Linux posts seperate

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 03:49:10 pm »

I will also clarify that the windows machine is not the Server, it is being used as a client

I will try your suggestions though.....UPDATE - didn't fix it..... wish I had a different drive to try....

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 04:17:05 pm »

One thing I notice that may be a clue is that my burning settings show the description of the D; Drive.......my ripping settings do not - it's blank.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 05:23:12 pm »

Your screenshots for the optical drive info in those two locations are what I see in my setup too, so I think you can ignore that.  Not sure what else to offer, other than silly things (like the previous advice) in the hopes that somehow it fixes it.  So without further ado...

I wonder if when it analyzes the disc, it tries to connect to the internet and/or MC's database to retrieve info?  If it does, then maybe check/change what MC is using under Options/Tree&View/Web.  I am not claiming I know what the underlying difference are among the 3 options, but I know I have seen other threads where people way smarter than me, recommend checking/changing this option.  Be aware the the Chromium option will take several minutes to "install components", so be patient (if you have not already installed that option). 

All that said, I doubt it will solve your problem... but we are at the "throw spaghetti at the wall" stage (for me anyway). Maybe my stupid post will inspire someone more knowledgeable to chime in.

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 06:11:19 pm »

Thanks. I was actually really just interested in seeing the process of ripping in JRiver. I pulled out an old MacBook and installed it and was able to rip on it so I experienced the process. I have to say, I do like dBpoweramp better, mostly because that’s what it’s for, ripping CDs and has so many extra features that I like it. It just makes the process much easier. But, that being said I’ve already ripped all my CDs and don’t see myself getting many more so I’ll just work with what I have.

Thanks for all the help. And, like you say, maybe someone will chime in with the answer and the spaghetti will stick to the wall!

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 06:28:08 pm »

Well... clearly I was not of any help, but your "welcome".  Glad you were able to at least get an MC rip on your Mac to compare to DBPA.  Hopefully you will purchase MC for is fantastic feature set (ripping issue notwithstanding) for library management and playback. 

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2022, 07:23:20 pm »

Well... clearly I was not of any help, but your "welcome".  Glad you were able to at least get an MC rip on your Mac to compare to DBPA.  Hopefully you will purchase MC for is fantastic feature set (ripping issue notwithstanding) for library management and playback.

I will purchase for sure. I am loving it. And I’m sure I’ll figure out the ripping one day.
I actually use it in 2 homes. One home it runs on an old i3 Linux machine and one home it runs on a 2013 iMac. Both flawlessly. I love how it works on all operating systems and I love how it works with Sonos. That is actually what started me on this journey. I recently re ripped all my CDs to lossless (local just sounds better than any streaming solution I find) and was using the Sonos app, but it’s so limiting. The J remote is fantastic. And the way you can customize views however you like…… Now that’s my kind of app.
Anyway, I could go on and on with my story but that’s not what this thread is about…..

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2022, 11:44:11 pm »

Most of the time Strange Happenings when you put a CD into a CD Drive are caused by Windows Defender trying to work out if the contents are some new form of Malware.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 09:00:48 am »

Most of the time Strange Happenings when you put a CD into a CD Drive are caused by Windows Defender trying to work out if the contents are some new form of Malware.
oh, this one got me excited because when I went into Windows Defender the checkboxes beside Media Center 28 were unticked, so I ticked them and saved and tried to rip again, but the same thing happened. Then I went and flat out turned Windows Defender off - same thing happened. That window pops up over and over......

I do think it's something to do with the program not getting access to the CD drive......it's like it sees it, it knows there is a disc in there, but it can't read it.

Thanks for the suggestion - keep em comin all!

ianhudson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 09:12:54 am »

I GOT IT!!!

for the heck of it, I just clicked "rip cd" and this popped up...I was not using a local library - I was connected to a remote library. Problem solved! And hopefully this helps others.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
Re: SOLVED - Can't rip a cd - it says "analyzing optical disk" over and over.
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 10:52:07 am »

Well hallelujah... congratulations Ian!
Pages: [1]   Go Up