INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 384  (Read 2074 times)

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
MP3 384
« on: March 21, 2003, 04:52:05 pm »

Anybody know anything about a bitrate in an MP3 file of 384 KB?
I downloaded one, thinking it would be killer quality but MC9 doesn't play it. Any ideas?
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

MachineHead

Re: MP3 384
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 06:59:36 pm »

Probably a corrupt file.

rocketsauce

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 10:48:07 pm »

Actually, IIRC, there is a switch called freeformat that will let the encoder use bitrates higher than 320, but most decoders won't play the files.

I don't really know all the details, but I have seen it mentioned in various threads over at Hydrogen Audio Forums. Here's one:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=7168&hl=freeformat&s=5b805c27e10e3fffddea5b91432f491c

Rob

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2003, 05:53:24 am »

I use this bitrate for audio when encoding DVD video. As far as I know, this is the only way it can be used. BTW, the DVD video with encoded audio at 384 played fine in MC9. I've never tried a stand-alone MP3 at this rate, I'll try it though, see what happens.

jakobluck

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2003, 06:43:52 am »

for dvd rips, wouldn't surround sound vorbis @ around 180kbps be a lot better (and smaller) than an mp3 track of that bitrate?

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2003, 08:48:52 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, my DVD player won't play ogg files.

The best encoding would be 5.1 AC3 files, if I was so inclined, and at times on certain projects I use this format with head-turning (literally) results. But for basic stereo audio, 384kbs is an excellent choice saving space over .wav's and allowing me to encode audio INTO the mpg2 video file.

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2003, 02:20:33 pm »

Have a look at the place where you got it.
They speak about the 384 encoding.

I do think it is a waste of drive space and money.
The difference past Lme 192 VRB is very very small.
Give a try at ogg7,this is good ,much better than mp3 if you play loud

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 05:20:21 pm »

When i first got to "this place", I tried a High Quality OGG. To me, it didbn't stack up to a 320 KB MP3. I tried 3 actually. 1 . was "Aerosmith - Dream On ". From the first album. The results were less than satisfactory.
Giving OGG the benefit of the doubt, I then got HQ OGG "Aerosmith - What It Takes" a newer and presumably higher quality source and "Mountain - Mississippi Queen". Not so great. I then sprang for the same songs in MP 320 ABR (vbr) and the difference was palpable. That's what I mean, too. I could feel the difference.

I know that some of you folks are sold on OGG as the best but my experience has shown it to sound hollow. No punch at high volumes. And I very much like to make the windows rattle and my colon hum.

Why else would I have twice my considerable weight in speakers in this room?

Although I had never heard of a 384 KB MP3 before either, they do exist. They are even starting to make portable MP3 players that play them. I wish MC would play them. Based on the new info from WarrenPeace, maybe QuickTime would play it. Or DIVX.
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele10

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2003, 12:47:57 pm »

The main thing i like with ogg is that when playing loud-LOUD i mean-  on my big speakers ,the trebles  are much much better and not  dry and unpleasant like with mp3.
Concerning punch ,i had to fix the handles of ALL the doors cause they just  vibrate like mad.
Now ,if you go for MP3 384 ,look like you need to get few 250 giga drives....
And yes ,you are right ,i have a new hairdos.
I am very please you noticed it.....

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2003, 04:49:14 pm »

Zevele,
I am sincerely and completely hoping that your hairdo will simply be a fashion statement and nothing else.

Well, back to banalities.
Zinf (formerly Free*mp) plays 384 KB MP3's. They sound GREAT! Of course, it could be my newest sound setup. The Creative Extigy with "Front" output to my old reliable Yamaha  CR-820, "Rear" output to a hand-me-down Kenwood KA-5700 and "Center/Subwoofer" output to an old Radio Shack amplifier I found at Goodwill. My 4-channel headphones ($4 at a flea market) are hooked to amp #1 and amp #2 respectively.

I've only tried the 384 KB files with the headphones, though. I have to wait until everyone is gone to crank up the speakers.

CVIII

That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up