INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 28 settings  (Read 567 times)

pbarjon001

MC 28 settings
« on: January 12, 2022, 10:56:59 am »

Hi,

New to JRiver and have couple of queries ....

1. When importing,

if I have the setting "Analize audio for audio file" checked
and "Write file tags when analyzing audio, getting cover art, and applying folder-based tag" unchecked

will volume leveling still work during play back? If not , why is this combination of options possible?

2. I have my PC hooked up to Denon receiver via hdmi...

During play back, what ever bit is reported as input, 16bits, 24bits etc, I always see output as 24 bits padded although there are "no change" reported

Question are:

a- What is padded, why is it being used?
b- Is there a way to pass the audio unaltered to avoid any possible degradation?

Pls let me know

Thx in advance

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: MC 28 settings
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 07:23:17 pm »

Q1: JRiver MC stores tag information in it's own library and (optionally) in the file itself (if it supports tagging e.g. FLAC, MP3) or in a sidecar file if the if native file tagging is not supported by MC (e.g Mp4, MKV) therefore performing Audio Analysis will store Volume Levelling info in the Library tags and also optionally in the File tags if the 'Write file tags' is selected. See wiki on Auto-Import https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

Q2:
See Hendrik's answer re: 24bit padded output from a MC22 thread:
Some audio devices do not accept a native 24-bit signal, but instead require 32-bit - in this case MC takes the 24-bit and pads it with zeros until its 32-bit, and out comes 24 (padded).
Its still bit-exact 24-bit audio, just padded to fit the requirements of the hardware device - which is done automatically if the hardware requires it.

Note that there is still a distinct difference between 24 (padded) and actual 32-bit in WASAPI, as the audio device is told that its receiving 24-bit padded instead of actual 32-bit audio, so it can act accordingly and properly process the 24-bit of actual audio - the padding is just for transport.

Hope you are enjoying MC28 and welcome to the forum.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome
Pages: [1]   Go Up