INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This is odd: shuffling albums  (Read 481 times)

wburkett

• World Citizen
This is odd: shuffling albums
« on: January 13, 2022, 11:05:04 pm »

I learned the trick of how to shuffle albums in a smart playlist: Remove Duplicates of [Album] - Shuffle - Expand to Full Album

I think I know the answer to my question but I'll explain the (what struck me as) odd behavior first.

For multiple disc albums I want to shuffle each individual disc, not the whole set of discs.  However, I give the whole set the same [Album] name and let "disc 1 of 5" differentiate the discs - I don't like putting added text like " (Disc 1)" in [Album] field - it's the whole set that has the single name.

I thought I could be clever and put " (Disc 1)" in [Album Sort] and do: Remove Duplicates of [Album Sort] - Shuffle - Expand to Full Album

This works as expected for Remove Duplicates of [Album Sort] - Shuffle but with Expand to Full Album it shoves all the discs back together into a single set.  The Shuffle on the single [Album Sort] tracks is not maintained.   

I think the answer is because Expand to Full Album reverts back to using the single [Album] title. I guess, it doesn't know I mean "Expand to Full Album Disc". 

To get want I want it looks like I'll have to add a " (Disc x)" modifier to the [Album] title for each individual disc.   I see this convention used often and always disliked it.  Do you title your multi disc sets this way?

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: This is odd: shuffling albums
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 11:14:57 pm »

You don't need to Adjust/Alter the [Album] title - Simply modify the Disc# for each disc in a multi-disc album/boxset so that it reflects that discs position the multi-disc album/boxset
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

wburkett

• World Citizen
Re: This is odd: shuffling albums
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 07:49:24 am »

Thanks, EnglishTiger.  I do that (as I said).  The problem I'm facing is that I want to shuffle by disc, not by [Album]
Pages: [1]   Go Up