INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: control number of speakers and channels independently  (Read 490 times)

hylics

• Recent member

Hi all, some users and I using MC for multi amping setups, thanks to his DSP. Now user interface of MC use number of channels as number of physical speakers. It's possible to setup more channels without upmix and downmix then add hand written mix rules to route signal through filters to desired soundcard channels and actual speaker drivers LF,MF,HF,etc. But we lose ability to use JRSS options.
I have MOTU card with 24 outputs and dream to fully use it for HT or multichannel music, stereo upmix, etc.

Would be nice to somehow separate speaker channels and soundcard channels.

Idea, in output format preferences page when JRSS is selected add drop-down menu for actual speakers configuration. Default "1:1 to output channels" keeps current behaviour. And add all possible hardcoded configs, 2.0, 2.1, 3.0(LCR), 4.0, 4.1, 5.1, etc.

Also might be useful to increase or configure number of virtual "user channels", as well as ability to rename channels.

Best regards

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature request: control number of speakers and channels independently
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 07:51:30 am »

Is the goal to output one number of channels but mix like we're targeting a different number of channels?  What are the channel counts you're thinking?

Like you probably know, a lot is already possible using Parametric Equalizer.  If JRSS is building more channels than you want, you can simply remove them.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:14:03 am »

I think this is a feature that has been requested a number of times, last time I asked was  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129485.msg898491.html#msg898491

the main problem is that for channel counts beyond 8, the jrss mix target is 7.1 whereas you may want something else (e.g. stereo or 5.1).

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 09:32:56 am »

If you want JRSS mixing to 5.1 when more than 5.1 channels are selected, you can use Mix Channels and move the content from the rear channels to User 1 & 2. In fact, you can move content to the User channels from any of the other channels to make JRSS basically work how you want.

I can see one having active 3-way main speakers and wanting to downmix a surround track to stereo with JRSS for movies. However, I think this is best handled by using a phantom center and not downmixing surround channel info to the mains. Also, many movies have a stereo track which is much better than a downmixed surround track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up