INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug Report:  filename.mp3.xxxxxx files  (Read 1749 times)

Johnas33

• Recent member
  • Anything worth doing is worth over-doing
Bug Report:  filename.mp3.xxxxxx files
« on: January 06, 2003, 05:58:10 am »

After rating more than 2000 of my mp3 files in MediaCenter 9, I've noticed that I have many files in each folder with the original file name followed by ".xxxxxx" of length 0 kb.  Even though all songs were given a rating, not all of them had a ".xxxxxx" file created, but it seems that most of them did.

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Bug Report:  filename.mp3.xxxxxx files
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 06:53:03 am »

Hi. In my experience these files appeared when original files were converted (in my case from ape to mp3VBR) in earlier versions of MJ8. The files with intact tags after conversion had no xxxxxxx ghost files, only the files where the tags didn't survive. I see the xxxxxxx-files still now and them (in MC), but much more rarely.
Tags by the way still only occasionally come through ok after conversion from ape to mp3.

Luigi1943

• World Citizen
  • I'd rather be sailing
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2003, 07:22:20 am »

I've noticed that these files are generated as a result of a double rename from file properties when the second rename is the same as the first one, and seems to be a bug in the rollback routine (to ignore changes).
I'll do some more testing to isolate exactly the contest.
Luigi1943

Johnas33

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2003, 09:45:57 am »

It looks like these xxxxxx files were generated at least 90% of the time and, for the most part, all I did was add a rating to the songs.  Anyway, I just thought J River might like to know, but I guess they probably already know about it.  I suppose I can just get rid of all the xxxxxx files by doing a search for "*.xxxxxx" and then deleting them.

Johnas33

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 12:01:41 pm »

I tried adding a rating while a song is not playing and the xxxxxx file was not created, but when the song is playing and I add a rating, then the xxxxxx file is created.  Interestingly, while the song is playing and the rating is changed, and then I click on another song, the property change is almost instantaneous.  But, when I change the rating of a song that is not playing, I get a "Please Wait" message for several seconds while the property (file) is updated.  OK, J River, time to stop reading messages now and go do some coding to fix the problem.   ;)  Thank you.  

xsfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2003, 03:03:26 pm »

I wanted to note that I got some of these xxxxx files when I first imported my mp3 files into MC9. I was using 9.0.129

Marko

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2003, 09:28:01 pm »

I get this if I change the picture (album art) associated with a file while it is playing.
So, I load an album into playing now, and it's got no cover art, "s'pose I could fix that now" methinks. The longer this goes on, eventually, all my albums will have cover art you see. Everytime, the file that was playing at the time of change gets a .xxxxx zero-byte ghost created. Happens the same way if an album has the wrong cover art and I simply remove the picture, usually using the properties window, "Image" > right-click > Remove"

Media Center Registered 9.0.124 -- C:\Program Files\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1610 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 597 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive L:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive Q:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive R:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive R: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W1610A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Marko

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2003, 10:03:54 pm »

*bump*

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2003, 05:00:52 am »

Some formats (like MP3) don't like to be tagged while they're being played because the tag is at the front of the file.

The next build of MC won't try updating the tags of a playing file -- it'll wait until the file isn't playing, or the program exits.

Hopefully that'll take care of the problems.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2003, 08:33:59 pm »

MC still creates zero-kb ghostfiles (XXXXXX) in the new .133 build. They numbered 5 - 10 % of a batch of appr. 500 files I tried to convert from APE to mp3vbr and seem to be distributed randomly in the batch. The process was running overnight and there was no other activity on the PC.  
This only happens if any of the boxes in "Converter settings" ("Update database" & "Send original file to Recycle Bin"), is checked. The tags in the corresponding mp3vbr-files are lost.
The workaround is to keep the boxes unchecked, delete the original ape files manually after conversion and finally import the new vbr files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up