INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Change Requests  (Read 5294 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DSP Change Requests
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2022, 06:17:20 am »

ran a quick test using a single filter (LS 80Hz +2dB Q=0.707) and then repeating that n times, was fine til I tried it with more than 6 biquads which resulted in a burst of 0dBFS high frequency content. Tweeter and ear melting stuff basically hence I think feature is currently unsafe to use til that bug fixed (I run these tests silently as I've nearly melted my ears more than once in my life doing this sort of thing!)
Darn!  But thanks for testing.

So would it be OK, in your opinion, to set a limit of 6 for now?  We'd fix the problem you found, but not until a later build.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2022, 06:18:26 am »

Jim, I'm working on fixing it this morning.  Today's build will be good (hopefully!).

Thanks for testing!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2022, 08:51:21 am »

Darn!  But thanks for testing.

So would it be OK, in your opinion, to set a limit of 6 for now?  We'd fix the problem you found, but not until a later build.
I think it depends what the problem is, I only tested a v simple case which tripped this problem but it doesn't mean it can't be tripped in some other way (using fewer biquads)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2022, 02:40:23 pm »

Testing appreciated.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2022, 02:49:54 pm »

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2022, 05:39:46 pm »

the problem (with biquads 7 & 8 ) is fixed in the latest build

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2022, 05:44:04 pm »

Don't ask if I paid bribes!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2022, 05:52:24 pm »

the problem (with biquads 7 & 8 ) is fixed in the latest build
Whew!  Thanks for reporting.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2022, 12:06:56 pm »

So I was paddling around this morning, and it's not a huge deal, but I notice that the highpass and lowpass filter Q in DSP Studio seems to be rounding to two decimals.  So for example, if I enter .7071 which is the correct Q for a 2nd order Butterworth, it rounds it off to .71 which isn't quite right.  Any chance of more precision there?

Also it might be worth considering setting the default to something other than "1" as that's not an expected filter slope at any order so newly created filters will have unexpected behavior for naive users.  To get back the old default behavior (where all filters are butterworth by default) it probably would make sense to set the default to whatever the appropriate Q is for a butterworth filter at that order (e.g. .7071 for 2nd order butterworth, 4th order butterworth has 1.307, etc.).

I put this here to continue the ongoing conversation, but let me know if I should post this in the build threads instead.  Thanks again for all the cool improvements this cycle!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2022, 12:22:57 pm »

I just moved this out from the beta board so you can see how much mwillems and mattkahn contributed to the new DSP capabilities.  Thanks again! 

And thanks to Matt (JRiver) for all the blood sweat and tears he put into making their dreams come true!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2022, 12:26:49 pm »

Coming next build:
Changed: Parameters in the Parametric Equalizer dialog show up to five digits of precision instead of two.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2022, 12:32:00 pm »

So I was paddling around this morning, and it's not a huge deal, but I notice that the highpass and lowpass filter Q in DSP Studio seems to be rounding to two decimals.  So for example, if I enter .7071 which is the correct Q for a 2nd order Butterworth, it rounds it off to .71 which isn't quite right.  Any chance of more precision there?

Also it might be worth considering setting the default to something other than "1" as that's not an expected filter slope at any order so newly created filters will have unexpected behavior for naive users.  To get back the old default behavior (where all filters are butterworth by default) it probably would make sense to set the default to whatever the appropriate Q is for a butterworth filter at that order (e.g. .7071 for 2nd order butterworth, 4th order butterworth has 1.307, etc.).

I put this here to continue the ongoing conversation, but let me know if I should post this in the build threads instead.  Thanks again for all the cool improvements this cycle!

Aside, I was under the impression that Q is actually S in MC? https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer#Q_or_S

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2022, 12:35:12 pm »

Aside, I was under the impression that Q is actually S in MC? https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer#Q_or_S

So that's actually something that should have been fixed as part of this effort per Matt upthread.  Feel free to test!

Coming next build:
Changed: Parameters in the Parametric Equalizer dialog show up to five digits of precision instead of two.

Thanks Matt!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2022, 12:38:14 pm »

So that's actually something that should have been fixed as part of this effort per Matt upthread.  Feel free to test!

Oh wow, I missed that!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2022, 12:43:36 pm »

Could you expound on this a bit?  A new Low-pass is set to 12 dB/octave and 1 for Q.  Are you saying it should be 12 dB/octave and .7071?

You can change the slope, but that doesn't change the Q.

Thanks.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2022, 12:45:45 pm »

Now that I don't have to convert Q->S I'm more likely to play around with custom parametric EQs. Could it be possible to add more than two and to rename them in the sidebar? I know this is somewhat possible with preset files, but it's way nicer just selecting/de-selecting them for AB.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2022, 01:04:24 pm »

Could you expound on this a bit?  A new Low-pass is set to 12 dB/octave and 1 for Q.  Are you saying it should be 12 dB/octave and .7071?

You can change the slope, but that doesn't change the Q.

Thanks.

So a first order butterworth (6db/octave) has a Q of .5, a 2nd order butterworth (12db/octave) has a Q of .7071.  But higher order filters will have multiple poles and not all filters that have the same product Q have the same shape.  I think the two poles of the 4th order butterworth are a Q of .541 and Q of 1.31, which make the product Q .7071.  But if you change the poles you can wind up with the same product Q and a different slope instead. 

To see more info, mattkhan linked a code example above from his beqdesigner program that shows how he modelled/calculated the Q factor for various pass filters: https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesigner/blob/f2991ac3b78669ec237826ef18ca4f2afa885648/src/main/python/model/iir.py#L1208

This complexity was part of why I think mattkhan suggested offering presets for different filter shapes and orders.  As it stands getting things right for higher order filters requires cascading several and setting the Q's just so.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2022, 01:08:32 pm »

So what should we change the default to?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2022, 01:40:48 pm »

Note that that only ever applied to shelf filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2022, 01:45:04 pm »

So what should we change the default to?

I'd be interested to hear mattkhan's thoughts on this, but if we have to pick only one default (rather than defaults that shift by order), I think .7071 is the sanest default (i.e. least likely to result in surprising behavior). 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2022, 01:48:58 pm »

Next build:
Changed: Low and high pass filters have a default Q of 0.7071.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2022, 02:10:24 pm »

I agree the default should be a 2nd order Butterworth (so q=1/sqrt2)

I think a custom q pass filter is a pretty niche thing though, people generally just want the usual named filters of various orders.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2022, 11:23:35 am »

We can set DSP for individual DLNA servers in MC. Why not also JRiver's 'own' (proprietary) server(s)?

I'd really like to add headphone-related DSP to the stream from my MC server to JRemote on my iPhone.

Thanks!

See also:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123093.msg852498.html#msg852498
Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up