INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Talking music...  (Read 1453 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Talking music...
« on: March 17, 2003, 06:56:22 pm »

OK I know this is really a MC forum so where do you guys all go to talk albums / music ??

Whats hot on your listening currently...
What unusual discovery or gem have you found this year...
What most surprised you etc...

To kick off I am discovering a lot of fusion sounds between world music and electronica / remix world that really work for me for repeated listening and satisfaction.

One really nice pickup in the last couple of months was Alien Soap Opera out on ElectroMelt... Really great fusion sound and a really nice quality recording too... In fact the Melt and ElectroMelt catalogue is one worth checking out if you like world / fusion / surprises / etc...

Looking for reccomendations in this vien...

Also off the wall stuff I would like reccomendations on :-

Taiko (kodo ??) Drumming... Looking for something with really powerful sound... Anything recorded on DTS etc even better !!! Something to really test the system and check those 'reference' levels !! That will teach those neighbors not to park in my spot !!! :D !!!

Oz Aborigional band (kumba kimbi ??) made a fusion song around 94 or so 'deam again' or dream time etc.. Looking for something that has more of a mixed studio sound than live (as that song did) anyone know anything about them...

Anything not too cheezy done similar with N American indian sounds...  

Anything in the way of labels / artists / whatever...

Also who among us collect multichannel recordings... outside of Steely Dan and The Eagles ::) what has really grabbed you in multichannel or high rez recordings... Any unmissable Chesky discs ??

Listening to: 'Voodoo Dub' from 'Second Wave' by 'Alien Soap Opera' on Media Center 9.0

Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

rocketsauce

Re: Talking music...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2003, 10:15:37 pm »

Having listened to primarily house/electronica for quite a few years now, I was surprised to find that my 3 favorite albums of 2002 were all rock albums:

The Donnas - Spend The Night
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
Tenacious D - Tenacious D

The Donnas album is amazing. Kind of like KISS meets AC/DC meets Blink182, but all girls. Not a bad song on the album.

As for electronica, lately I've really been into Golden Boy with Miss Kittin - Or. It's very hypnotic, 80s synth with a 90s vibe.

I was really into the whole Buddha-Bar ethno-tronica thing for awhile, but it has worn a little thin. Although, on a recent visit to Little India here in Southern California I bought a few Hindi dance mix cds and am enjoying them immensely.

Overall, I haven't been buying that many CDs by new artists, but have been replacing some selected vinyl from the 80s. Recent purchases include crucial albums by Ultravox, Human League, Heaven 17 and Rush (!?).

Rob

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 10:54:34 pm »

I agree with you that the Budda Bar stuff feels a touch thin... A friend had most of them but none really tickled my funny bone... Plus the way I was treated at the Budda Bar made 110% certain they were not getting a sale out of me...  
HTPC Front ends  

zevele10

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2003, 04:07:23 am »

In the New-York indee low fi guitar bands : TADPOLES

This is the best band i discovered SINCE YEARS. All they albums on Emusic and some songs on MP3.com

Old band that you listen again because of reedition: FREE.
I did not remember that this band was THAT good.

Concerning new records
PEARL JAM   Riot Act
THE LES CLAYTPOOL FROG BRIGADE   purple onion
AUDIOSLAVE   audioslave
NOIR DESIR   des visages et des figures

Best reedition program:

All the PRETTY THINGS album on the german label Repertoire with tons of bonus track

On Rhino records:
the first VIOLENT FEMMES
the 3 LOVE albums.

nothing really new as you can see.
But i  am not mad about fusion/word music.
I do like persan classical music , arab classical music and japaneese minimal music.
But just plain  , not mix with any kind of new age music.

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 10:43:49 am »

I have a Kodo drummers compilation which is pretty good - but gets a bit much if you play too many tracks (I can send you a track as a tester if u like (APE))

If you want a big sound to rattle the windows - try a track by Brian Bromberg called Bassically Speaking  ;D ;D ;D !!

Acoustic Double Bass played v hard! great foir getting my cats out of the HiFi room

Let me know if you want to borrow any tracks

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 10:45:44 am »

... one more to consider - Drummers of Burundi

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 12:52:08 pm »

Hey!!  My Mate from college was a big drummers of burundi fan.  He had a cd that was one track of drumming that lasted 1/2 hour...

Not my cup of tea but he loved it :)

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 04:38:32 pm »

Yeah the Drummers of Barundi thats texactly the kind of reminder I wanted :D THANKS !! I saw them when I was a mere sproglet (and no one had ever heard of them) at a WOMAD festival... They were really great with an audience to play off... They got the whole place moveing and hyped... Came charging out on a really hot midsummer day all done in thier amazing garb, Drums on thier heads, leaping and acrobaticing around... They then performed HYPER for an hour or so in sun that was wilting everyone and not even broke into a sweat... They probably caught a chill... They came out out after into the audience with everyone after (it was a festie after all) and got baked in a different way...

Dont know how much relistening I would give it but for the memory I want that... THANKS for the reminder...

Listening to: 'Enigma / Third of Its Kind' from 'Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi!' by 'Enigma' on Media Center 9.0
HTPC Front ends  

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2003, 08:55:37 am »

A couple of years ago I went to see Kodo drummers in London (they were on some kind of world tour). If I remember correctly they are all monks, or at least they practise the drumming as some kind of religous discipline.

Man, they were amazing, and the sounds they made ranged from subtle quiet rythyms to massive noise. The climax was a small, wiry guy hammering an enormous drum for what seemed like hours, they really must devote their whole lives to perfecting the technique and fitness required. An amazing spectacle - but perhaps not easy listening on CD. If you ever get the chance - go and see them.

On my player at the moment - Queens of the Stone Age: Songs for the Deaf, and looking at MCs top hits I see that The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles... etc and Cornelius - Point (from emusic) are current faves.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2003, 09:02:30 pm »

Marketability, Could you check your PM's ?? Or drop me a email or IM...
HTPC Front ends  

zevele10

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2003, 10:21:46 pm »

Not new ,but worth a try:
Moondog.
Try it if you can
Pages: [1]   Go Up